USB Cord To iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Pinkipad2, May 12, 2020.

1. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Since I can’t install the wireless printer because I can’t get the software to my iPad , I had an idea. Can I use the usb cord from my printer to my iPad? I’m assuming that an adapter would need to be on the end of the usb connector to fit into my iPad 8 pin connection. If I’m right, can I buy this adapter from the Apple Store or Amazon?

If I’m wrong, then I can’t use the new printer and am in deep doo-doo.

#1 Pinkipad2, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The iPad doesn’t support wired printing.
    There’s an app for many printers to print wirelessly, if AirPrint isn’t available.

Which printer do you own?

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    As already stated by Johanna, we need to know both the brand & model of your printer and whether AirPrint is supported (review the link's list of compatible printers) - in my case, I have a Canon Pixma IJ printer and a Brother B&W laser printer - both support AirPrint, so I can simply select to print from my iPad, pick the printer to use, and walk to the computer room and the printed material is waiting. Dave :)

4. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thank you both. I have an HP LaserJet Pro M102 received on Saturday. I can’t install the software on my iPad so thought I’d use the usb cord. But if I can’t use a wire for the iPad, I’ll have to return this printer after weeks of research. No one said that the app would be impossible to install:(

5. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Oh I’ll research AirPrint tonight n

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Well, in all honesty, you never clearly asked about how to print from an iPad before purchasing a printer - we could have given you advice - my first questions would have been whether you have a computer (and if so what brand, model, and OS installed, whether a Mac, PC, or other); and also whether you had a home Wi-Fi network which would be needed to use Apple's AirPrint technology. For the time being, you can check HP's KB HERE to see if there is a solution; otherwise post back w/ a more thorough explanation of your 'computer setup' - Dave :)

7. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I didn’t mean you guys were not helpful. I asked in the HP forums for help. My printer was defective and I found out too late to return it.

I followed your link last night and I can’t install the printer. I’m can give more details if you’d like.

I’m using my iPad 2 and my laptop is Windows but I haven’t used it since 2018. Long story but disability issues are the reason.

I’m on WiFi but the router is not in my room. The connection is pretty strong but I’m among trees and woods. My iPhone connection is spotty at times due to the trees.

Id love to keep the printer but can’t install it on the iPad. If you want more information please ask. But y’all didn’t give me bad advice!

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Theoretically it works. My printer was turned on (I was naked) and when I hit Print on the screen, it found no printer. Technically the WiFi was working since I was online.

See why I was so frustrated? If y’all have more tips I’ll try them. Tomorrow afternoon I’ll have a CNA plug in and turn on the printer. I’ll try to print from my iPad and iPhone. Then I’ll check email for an update here. Thank you

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My printer needs a few seconds until my iPad can detect it. Did you try printing immediately after turning on the printer? If so, wait a few seconds, then try it again.

Make sure both devices, iPad and printer, are connected to the same Wi-Fi.

There‘s also an app for compatible printers:
    ‎HP Smart

I do hope yours is supported as well, I was searching but didn‘t find anything.

If you need help with the app:
    HP Smart

#10 J. A., May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020