What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uploading photos to the net

Sean Reid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few online stores and before the update to IOS 8 I was able to take a photo on my ipad and upload it directly to the internet, Facebook, Twitter, Ebay, Folksy etc.

Since the update I have been struggling to do this. Ebay says there are no photos selected when there are, Facebook won't upload at all.

It's driving me crazy. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and anyone have a solution please?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Which browser do you use? I can't upload photos to this forum and other websites using Safari. Puffin browser solved this problem for me. Maybe using a browser other than Safari will help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPF's default uploader is based on Flash, so it won't work with Safari. Puffin is a Flash enabled browser, so it's not too surprising it works; but it's nice to have confirmation.

You can change this in your preferences on the site, but it greatly reduces the upload features when visiting from a desktop. I tried it once, then quickly switched back.

I'm not sure how well the basic uploader will work in Safari on the iPad. I've never tried it. On the occasions when I need to upload an image from my iPad, I switch to the Tapatalk app and do it from there. If I've already written most of my post, I'll add a little (image pending) kind of thing in the post, then switch to Tapatalk to edit the post and add the image.

I've been known to do the same thing if I start a post on the computer, but need an image from the iPad; though I'm more likely to just email the image to myself. I'm looking forward to OS X Yosemite on my Mac, when I'll probably be able to use the much more efficient AirDrop feature.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to upload my photos to iPF using Safari. It worked perfectly until yesterday.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't remember if I have, or not. Senile, I guess.

I wonder if it has to do with the the site's browser ID detection and adaptive features. The browser identification for Safari on the iPad may have changed, casing the site to use the desktop version of the uploader instead of mobile version.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to upload my photos to iPF using Safari. It worked perfectly until yesterday.

I don't remember if I have, or not. Senile, I guess.

I wonder if it has to do with the the site's browser ID detection and adaptive features. The browser identification for Safari on the iPad may have changed, casing the site to use the desktop version of the uploader instead of mobile version.
The problem in uploading photos to iPad Forums from Safari has existed since about iOS 8 beta 3, it's not a new issue. I suspect the problem may be an incompatibility with the ZenForo forum software. If so, ZenForo will have to address the problem. BTW, the same problem exists at the other forums owned by the Forum Foundry that use ZenForo.

Photos still upload normally from devices not yet updated to iOS 8, which is why I'm keeping one of my iPad 3's on iOS 7.1.2 for now.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem in uploading photos to iPad Forums from Safari has existed since about iOS 8 beta 3, it's not a new issue. I suspect the problem may be an incompatibility with the ZenForo forum software. If so, ZenForo will have to address the problem. BTW, the same problem exists at the other forums owned by the Forum Foundry that use ZenForo.

Photos still upload normally from devices not yet updated to iOS 8, which is why I'm keeping one of my iPad 3's on iOS 7.1.2 for now.

Sci...have you contacted our IT Admin about this. I know you have on iPhones, but not sure here? I just tried on my iPhone and cannot upload a pic using safari. Will check tapatalk next and see if it works for me as Twerppoet said it did for him.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tapatalk works. I've posted some screenshots and other pictures using the app.

I have problems loading photos on other websites as well. We have a site for teachers and pupils where I was able before the update to add a profile picture, and I just tried and couldn't exchange it, just as an example. I tried to post pictures somewhere else as well, and it didn't work. Maybe it's not only this forum's software.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tapatalk works. I've posted some screenshots and other pictures using the app.

I have problems loading photos on other websites as well. We have a site for teachers and pupils where I was able before the update to add a profile picture, and I just tried and couldn't exchange it, just as an example. I tried to post pictures somewhere else as well, and it didn't work. Maybe it's not only this forum's software.

That's interesting that you have noticed it on other sites, JA. Thanks of sharing that! Hopefully in the next week things get sorted with this new release. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sci...have you contacted our IT Admin about this. I know you have on iPhones, but not sure here? I just tried on my iPhone and cannot upload a pic using safari. Will check tapatalk next and see if it works for me as Twerppoet said it did for him.
Thanks for the reminder, I did it just now.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What about the AppleWatchForum? Does the problem exist there as well? I didn't try there, because it's the same software.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What about the AppleWatchForum? Does the problem exist there as well? I didn't try there, because it's the same software.

I would think it would be the same, but I have not checked to be 100% certain. I believe that Sci is a Moderator there too, so maybe he mentioned it already. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the same problem exists on Apple Watch Forum. I've had to use a device still on iOS 7.1.2 to upload photos there as well.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've done some digging and discovered that this is apparently a Safari bug that won't let users on iOS 8 upload photos to websites. Here's an Apple Support thread on this issue. It says that if you use Google Chrome you can upload the photos but not add any text. I hope Apple fixes this problem pronto. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6543180

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Chrome crashed for me as well, I was able to use Puffin to upload photos AND add text.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts