What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to 4.2 beta without registered UDID

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks How do I back everything up incase I want to go back to 3.2? I don't want to lose all of my applications.

And are you sure there's no possible way this would brick the old iPad?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks How do I back everything up incase I want to go back to 3.2? I don't want to lose all of my applications.

And are you sure there's no possible way this would brick the old iPad?

Hi i have install it and test it , is nice to have the latest function, but yet let me say , it’s fully buggy so i will revert my one … pity but it’s like this

but you can have a try and you can revert easily :) by pressing restore in itunes ( that’s the way i do)

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked like a charm. I'm loving the multitasking!

But where's the printing support and how do I make folders :p

Edit: well it didn't find my printer (shock shock)

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Happy that work fine for you , as for me i found the 4.2 a little buggy , the coolest things i can’t wait is the folder and the multi tasking but as this ipad is a working tool , i can’t let it with some bug , that will disturb our daily job too much and make us unsure about where is the problem ….

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Happy that work fine for you , as for me i found the 4.2 a little buggy , the coolest things i can’t wait is the folder and the multi tasking but as this ipad is a working tool , i can’t let it with some bug , that will disturb our daily job too much and make us unsure about where is the problem ….

What sort of bugs are you experiencing?

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, exactly what kinds of bugs are you experiencing?! I do a lot of work with how our mind creates scenarios and thinks things are more difficult than they are, or in this case, people read beta and assume it's buggy when the iOS acts differently. And also remember that you are on iOS 4.2, and still, the app store is trying to get developers to write for 4.0, and all the iPad apps are written for 3.2, the so called "bugs" you may be experiencing are most likely problems with the apps, not the iOS.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me give you a short list, and before i will say is not app’s problem… is iOs 4.2 problem

the note don’t sync well , if you want to delete all by uncheck in iTunes you can’t
email after you enter your password (at every update you have to) the system ask you several time the password ..
if you want to delete the mailbox for recreate a new one , you can’t even also trying by iTunes … several app’s wont enter in folder
in same place with same network , in 3.2 work fine , with 4.2 terribly slow

but have several nice new features i will enjoy when the release will come out, same as i enjoy my iPhone 4

@cmstuber, instead of try to tell me i am wrong because i found and i say 4.2 it’s buggy, you should thanks me because before i test and publish it , nobody believe you , when you say we can use it :)

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipadone, I can't verify your notes syncing problems, but as far as emailing and updating, you shouldn't have to reenter a password after an update. Even after a downgrade you don't have to do this. Sounds ike operator error to me, not iOS. You can delete and recreate mailboxes, I just did it. No problems. Apps do go in folders, no problems there. As for your Wifi, I know what you are talking about it only happened once after I first installed it, Reboot and the problem is solved.

Why should i be thanking you? For trying it out? Thanks for trying it, I know that it's still beta, but perceptions can be deceiving.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not a moderator and I do not speak on behalf of the forum management, but if someone wants to help you locate iOS4.2 in any other way than through Apple, I respectfully suggest that they do it through a PM and not on the open forum.

So if we follow your thinking we also cannot talk about Jailbreak app’s …

and i didn’t see any link … not everybody have the knowledge for search some special file … so i think we should help them and also respect the rule of the forum :D

Cydia apps are perfectly legal and fine to discuss. Cracked app store apps however are not. If you have to obtain the update thru any means other than apple it should not be discussed. I am not saying its bad to do.....I grabbed it...sources are not permitted tho.

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not to pick fights, especially with a mod, but... cydia is NOT approved by apple, therefore why can we still discuss it? it just seems like you try to draw lines as to where you would like discussion to stay, but the line is pretty crooked. do you realize how much work and 'unapproved' discussion needs to take place in order to do a lowlevel exploit to jailbreak? not only that, but the 'easy' exploits to take an app and make it 'cracked' is almost laughable. seriously, you talk about cracking apps as being illegal discussion on the forum, but when you crack an entire operating system, it's somehow ok??? if you read the disclaimer in apptrackr, you would read that it is so people can try out before they buy, a feature that apple doesn't give you. now, there are people who do just that, but there are others to decide to take advantage of it. it's not your choice to make for others, mod, it's the people's decision to make for themselves and possibly end up in jail, if it's sooo illegal.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not to pick fights, especially with a mod, but... cydia is NOT approved by apple, therefore why can we still discuss it? it just seems like you try to draw lines as to where you would like discussion to stay, but the line is pretty crooked. do you realize how much work and 'unapproved' discussion needs to take place in order to do a lowlevel exploit to jailbreak? not only that, but the 'easy' exploits to take an app and make it 'cracked' is almost laughable. seriously, you talk about cracking apps as being illegal discussion on the forum, but when you crack an entire operating system, it's somehow ok??? if you read the disclaimer in apptrackr, you would read that it is so people can try out before they buy, a feature that apple doesn't give you. now, there are people who do just that, but there are others to decide to take advantage of it. it's not your choice to make for others, mod, it's the people's decision to make for themselves and possibly end up in jail, if it's sooo illegal.

OK, here's the deal. You are correct, cydia is not approved by Apple...but it is in no way illegal...a court actually just ruled that there is no illegality to jailbreaking your device as you have the right as a consumer to use your paid for device how you choose.

Now, what IS illegal is downloading apps that you are supposed to pay for....be it app store apps that you got for free or even cydia apps that are paid that you got for free. Get it?? There are plenty of cydia apps that are paid...if you are not paying for them you are getting them illegally...does that make sense?

I personally don't care what you do on your device....but you can NOT discuss methods for obtaining illegal software on this forum....end of discussion.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh BTW, thanks for the opt+Check for Update trick! That did it and I didn't have to wait forever for it to restore everything too! Bonus! I wonder if that would work for downgrading too?

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i haven't downgraded since i updated to 4.2, but the first time i did it wrong (clicked on restore...oops) and i had to restore from a back up. i guess, i don't really see a point in downgrading right now. i did downgrade my iphone 3g back to 3.1.2 and jb cuz it runs faster. gotta kill time somehow til the new jailbreaks come. i was working hard at trying to downgrade 3.2.2 to 3.2 but could never get it signed with apple. my guess though with the downgrade back to 3.2.2 would be that since apple is still signing that firmware you should be able to do it with no problems, but then again, you might have to put it in DFU, which should basically wipe your ipad clean and you'd have to restore from your backup.

@ipadone. i was thinking about your email problems... do you use an exchange account? there is well known and many documented cases of some versions of micro$loth exchange not playing well with any version of ios4 on ipt, iphone, or, now ipad. i have two exchange accounts, one is an older version of exchange which runs perfectly well on ios4, but another exchange is more current and doesn't play well with ios4, you have to bypass the exchange/push stuff and just set up IMAP till there is a fix. again, this has been a well known problem with all versions of ios4, not just the 4.2 beta. in fact, i had similar problems with 3.2.2, but on my iphone 3g on 3.1.2 it plays well with exchange.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3.2.2 down works, I know that because I did the restore too, and had to go back down to get it to work again. Would like to get back to 3.2 tho if too many problems with beta.

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm happy with 4.2 beta. i had 4.0 on iphone for a while. i really really like the integration of pandora. that's one of my favorite features. the multitasking is cool, but proswitcher is much more intuitive. can't wait til jailbreak day and then i can change some activations around to make the ipad more personal and user friendly. i haven't set up my printer yet, but the buttons are there for those that want it. folders is pretty stupid to me, but i guess there may be people out there that have hundreds of apps, and i think ios 4 can handle like 1200 or something like that with folders. but yeah, netflix is still running great as well as all my other apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts