What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to 4.2 beta without registered UDID

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is safe to update on beta2?
It is still a beta release so there is still a very likely possibility that there could be some issues that need to be resolved before the final release in November. Installing beta software is done at your own risk!

Absolutely agree, but I am very happy to confirm that Mail is much more stable on beta 2. I installed this morning and so far have had no problem with my 7 (!) pop accounts, which up to this point on Beta 1 would cause Mail to crash immediately.

osclassicos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.2 beta 2 worked like a charm in Brazillian portuguese too. Yes! Thanks...
Only Shift Update like beta1.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury, seriously. It does work, my iPad is living proof. If you command- click restore, yes, it will not work and you will be forced to downgrade to 3.2.2, i know from first hand, but if you command-click update, it does work. When you have a spare 5 minutes, back up and try it. It works and there are many many other ipad owners who are experiencing the same thing. I am currently running iOS 4.2 beta 1 and I don't have a developers account. I will defend this with my life! Someone, please try it!!!

Srry for noobish question but what do u mean by command click update? Juss clickin update or somethin else? I might try this very soon.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, im using windows xp version pack 3 with latest version of itunes. So first i have to download the 4.2 to itunes? Or juss open itunes up, connect online, plug ipad up to it, then press shift, then update?

hcsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
confirm how to update to IOS 4.2 beta for ipad

Hi
can someone let me know what "command-click update" in Itune means? in case I do it wrongly for ipad update to ios 4.2? is it shift+restore button? waiting on line!
thanks in advance!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
can someone let me know what "command-click update" in Itune means? in case I do it wrongly for ipad update to ios 4.2? is it shift+restore button? waiting on line!
thanks in advance!

It's actually opt click check for updates...it's a mac thing.

hcsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
thanks in advance!

It's actually opt click check for updates...it's a mac thing.

do you mean clicking check for update in Itune on windows pc?
Thanks!

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think they are trying to tell u this

On a PC:
Hold down "SHIFT" as u press "restore"

Mac:
"Option"-klick on restore

When one of these methods Is done It will pop up an new windows that are telling U to browse to the firmware of your choice.
But It will not work for many various reasons.
(Go a head - IF u have your UDID number regged by a Dev to apple server otherwise u will get stuck during the process.

Last edited:

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if it's anything like the 4.2b1, it's SHIFT and UPDATE, not RESTORE (on iTunes)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback, fellow members. I might try but thinkn i might also juss wait, from what im reading on the threads. Most havin issues one way or another, but its expected since its beta. A few folks say no major issues. If i get bored enuff, ill try it out. I was leary about jailbrake, on 3.2.1, then one day said $&@? It and did it. Was very easy.
So the other main thing is to make sure u download the beta firmware to itunes first?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the other main thing is to make sure u download the beta firmware to itunes first?
You don't actually download it to iTunes. You download the zip file to your computer and unzip it to any folder on your computer. When you click SHIFT and Update, a box will pop up where you navigate to the folder where you put the unzipped file.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should be clearly understood that you must be registered with a developer or you are a developer before you start installing beta 4.2. Like any beta software it is not complete and problems may occur that will affect your day to day operation of the iPad.

I have lived with several apps crashing as they were not important and as my iPad is wifi only I had no real issues with access to the net. The problems I experienced i had other options. I have only had to do a reset twice since installing the original beta.
My suggestion is just wait for gold final release from Apple.

ddstree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the beta 2 to work on my second iPad (first one is a jb 3.2.1)

Using windows 7 64 bit, latest iTunes 10
Shift-update (not restore)

Disappointed in multitasking somewhat...some apps seem to go back to splash screen instead of where u were in the app

Now...to attempt the downgrade "trick" to see if it'll toto 3.2.1...doubtful

Most reactions

Latest posts