What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating ipad

wicked witch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 2 and did not realize that I would not get notifications to update iPad software so consequently I have version 4.3 and the software is current ver 6. How do I complete the upgrade without loosing movies and tunes or other info

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Syncing your iPad to iTunes on your PC or Mac and make a back-up before upgrading. Actually if you did this on a regular basis, iTunes would have prompted you each time there was an update.

From iOS 5 on, updates are available directly on the iPad itself, so once you have upgraded to iOS 6, any future updates can be done OTA (over the air).

So in recapping, hook your iPad up to your PC or Mac, make sure you do a device back-up, then update to iOS 6. Once it has updated, restore from that back-up when prompted.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A point to remember here is that with such a large upgrade from iOS 4.3, All the way to iOS 6, the upgrade is likely to take quite a while.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A point to remember here is that with such a large upgrade from iOS 4.3, All the way to iOS 6, the upgrade is likely to take quite a while.

Upgrading from 4.3 still need to be done via cable (no OTA in that version). That will require the download on the whole OS of more than 700Mb.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts