What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'update all' gone?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
in ios 5 it doesnt give me the option to update all apps together like the previous ios's did. is this fixable?

Good question. I have found lately that this option is on and off. I have it right now, but I've noticed it comes and goes. Don't know what's happening.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in ios 5 it doesnt give me the option to update all apps together like the previous ios's did. is this fixable?
That is odd. I'm on iOS 5.0.1 now and the "Update All" button has always been available. Can you post a screen shot when that happens...curious as to what apps or what number of apps, etc. might be causing that (if any). TIA!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't updated yet, have you sjleworthy?
5.0 for me

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same problem occasionally when I first moved to iOS 5. Haven't had it since upgrading to 5.0.1. I'm speculating but I suspect it may have been a bug associated with updating apps (such as browsers) that require the user to re-confirm access to adult content. If such an app was in the list to be updated, the code may have prevented the "update all" feature from working correctly. As I said, I haven't encountered the problem since updating to the latest rev of the OS and I have updated at least one browser since then, so I think the problem is now resolved.

BTW, I encountered a different problem yesterday that may have some bearing on this behavior. Tried to add the new Google Mail app to my iPad and found that it was completely non-existent in the App store. I was puzzled since I'd read that others had already downloaded it. Turned out that I had to update my iTunes application on my computer to 10.5.1 (As I recall) before the app showed up.

Bottom line. Unless you have reason not to do so, (i.e. jailbreaking) it's always a good idea to stay up to date in terms of OS releases. In addition, as I discovered, staying up to date on the iTunes application is a good idea, as well.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bottom line. Unless you have reason not to do so, (i.e. jailbreaking) it's always a good idea to stay up to date in terms of OS releases. In addition, as I discovered, staying up to date on the iTunes application is a good idea, as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, your'e right, I hadn't updated thinking I may jailbreak if one comes along. I'm just curious what all the fuss is about. I'm having second thoughts though as I'm not very tech savvy and certainly not as far as JB goes. So will probably go ahead and update, especially as many updates for apps are coming through and I worry that they are being updated for 5.0.1 and I may begin having troubles because of it. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same problem occasionally when I first moved to iOS 5. Haven't had it since upgrading to 5.0.1. I'm speculating but I suspect it may have been a bug associated with updating apps (such as browsers) that require the user to re-confirm access to adult content. If such an app was in the list to be updated, the code may have prevented the "update all" feature from working correctly. As I said, I haven't encountered the problem since updating to the latest rev of the OS and I have updated at least one browser since then, so I think the problem is now resolved..

Well, nothing like going out on a limb speculating about the cause of a problem and then sawing off the limb behind yourself. Shortly after posting the comments above, I encountered the same problem in 5.0.1 and none of the updates were for apps that required confirmation.... Oh well...:eek:

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I'd put my ten cents in.
Since updating to iOS5 whenever I have multiple apps to update I always have the update all option. And so far as having my iPad 2 goes (around 4 months) no matter what iOS I've had I've always had the update all button. However, (and this is going back a few years) when I used to use my itouch I got the update all button 50% of the time and yet a friend was never so fortunate and was always complaining to me about thee being no option.
As far as I'm concerned I think it must just be an underlying bug in the system that surfaces from time to time.

[EDIT]: just noticed, even when I have only one app update I still have the 'update all' button. So I'm now assuming that it's auto active and must disappear due to an underlying bug like I said previously.

Last edited:

budsimrin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update All still permanently missing

Bug is definitely not gone. I haven't seen "update all" for months. Any help is appreciated.:(

Update: I found an answer on another forum. I rebooted the iPad and the problem fixed itself.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts