What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Untethered iOS 5 JAILBREAK Confirmed For iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Last night, @pod2g of the Dev Team tweeted the following message:

"Hey jailbreaking friends, I've found a bug that can untether iOS 5. Don't expect a release soon, but I'm gonna work hard in it."

Ever since we've started to wait for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Jailbreak people have been wondering whether it would be tethered or untethered. I tethered iPhone 4S or iPad 2 wouldn't be so bad since the battery life has been improved, but what about the other devices?

Well it seems that there is a bug being worked on that will allow for an untethered Jailbreak! The Dev Team is working hard on bringing you this new iOS 5 untethered Jailbreak so please be patient. When it is released, you guys will be the first to know!

Pod2G Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/pod2g

Last edited by a moderator:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The headline on this thread seems a bit over the top. Finding a "bug" is a ways away from exploiting it for a full scale release.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never thought of that ~ but it is kinda true.

I haven't been fooling around with iOS for long. Just since the introduction of the iPad 2. But from what I can tell, Apple is becoming more and more proactive in plugging the holes that enable jailbreaking. As I recall, it 4.3.4 followed 4.3.3 fairly quickly and 4.3.5 followed 4.3.4 even more quickly. And now it appears that 5.0.1 will be coming out fairly quickly, partly to deal with battery issues in 5.0 but I'm guessing they'll fold in any vulnerabilities they find when 5.0.1 is released. I'm sure the jailbreaking community will continue their efforts but I have a feeling they're fighting a losing battle.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be wrong, but I remember them stating they had found several bugs they could use to jailbreak (untethered), and that was long before iOS 5 was officially released. Why are they now acting like they just discovered one?

I may just give up on these jailbreaks and install iOS 5. The pay only apps for jailbroken iOS are overpriced for what little they do.

PDADoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For my part, I'll believe it when I see it. There been too many false starts, fueled mostly by blogs trying to justify their existence by posting these stories.

The people who work on these JBs are smart and dedicated. I'm sure if it's possible, they'll find a way to do it. That said, however, Apple certainly is going out of their way to prevent it; it seems to have become a crusade for them.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I can't wait to JB my iPad 2 3G, when it becomes available.
I have noticed a lot of websites using the words jailbreak iOS 5 to attract traffic to their site.

Regards,
~Chays~

Most reactions

Latest posts