What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unkown error problem

unacosita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After trawling the net for two days and finding no answer to my jail breaking problem I have resorted to asking for help, I hope a reader of this forum may have some ideas! I have a jailbroken ipad 1 running a tethered version of 4.3.1. I'm eager to install the untethered version of 5.0.1 which I recently downloaded but every time I try to shift+restore I get the message 'This ipad cannot be restored because of an unknown error [21]'. When I check the apple support pages it suggests it might be a security problem but other than windows firewall (which I've disabled) I don't have any security programs? When googling the problem a lot of pages suggest using iREB. I downloaded this and put it into the necessary state and then retry but get the same message with error 1603?? Does anyone have any ideas, it's so frustrating?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you ever used a program called TinyUmbrella? If so, it sounds like your hosts file is screwed up.
backup your iPad first.
If you use TinyUmbrella, open it up and go to the "advanced" tab. Then uncheck the box "set hosts to Cydia on exit". Close TU.
Now, plug your iPad into iTunes and use DFU. Press and hold the power and home button for 10 seconds, then, release the power button but keep holding the home button until iTunes recognizes a device in recovery mode. Then just hit "restore". No shift select junk. :)
Then once the iPad is restored, just run the latest redsnow to jailbreak.

OP
U

unacosita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response graywolf :))) I have tiny umbrella so I'll give it a shot now and let you know what happens. Thanks again for the help!

Most reactions

Latest posts