What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unit won't charge from wall outlet

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unit just about six weeks old. Never dropped or abused. Last night before bed time plugged in and in morning still at about 28%. Did a full reboot (white apple appears) and when unit comes back up it says not charging. Pull the module and reinsert in wall outlet. No message, just the indicator at top that continues to show .... now 27%. Any help out there? My wife has offered to get me the "T" shirt that says "Murphy" on the front of it. Sure seems to apply to me
Jerry

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure you used the correct power-supply?
From the outside, the power-supply of the iPhone 3G / 3GS looks identical to that of the iPad but doesn't have enough power for charging it.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well someone has to ask these questions...

When your iPad is plugged into the power cube, do you see the lightning bolt where the battery is?

ipad57.jpg

If not, then you have:

a) A defective docking cable.
b) A defective power supply.
or
c) A defective iPad.

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't have the iphone referenced, so, that's not the problem. I have two of the white power cable modules (one came with my iPod) and tried both. They (USB) plug into the larger white module which plugs into the wall outlet. No lightning bolt shown ... only the battery icon with 27% in front of it and the battery icon showing a small area of white as to the amount of charge it has.

Any way of checking the module that plugs into the wall?

If the iPad itself has to be replaced, what is the recommended procedure for backing it up now before the battery goes completely dead?

Jerry

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming the docking cable is good, you can just go into iTunes and sync. The first thing it will do is perform a backup.

You will know right away if the cable is good or not because if it is bad, your iPad won't show up in iTunes.

But as long as you are going to plug your iPad into your computer anyway, if your iPad shows Not Charging, that's actually a good thing!

notcharging.jpg

It means that your computer is connected to your iPad and it actually is charging it, but very slowly. If this is the case, that means your charger is bad. If you do not see the Not Charging message, that can still mean the cable could be bad or the iPad itself could be bad.

I think Wal-Mart sells cables. That is the most likely thing to break so that is what I would try first.

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Neither of the two identical cables will allow the iPad and iTunes to talk o each other. So they are not seeing each other.:mad:

That means no way to back up my setup on the device. My data is secure, thankfully as I have it all backed up. I was just thinking of the pain of having to restructure the device. I purchased it at Best Buy exactly a month ago and paid for full warranty. In such a short time, however, I don't know if it would be Apple or Best Buy who care for any replacement or repair. Or how long to be without the device.

I wanted to use it in teaching a special class coming up in two weeks, but it looks like that is out the window now!

JB

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I am at a loss since everything points to the iPad at this point since it is unlikely that you have 2 bad cables. Sorry.

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easy way to check power adapter is just plug another usb device into it and see if it works, but if your computer is not seeing it, sounds like Ipad issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts