What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two iPad 2s

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, the first task is done. Followed Marilyn's instructions and synched/backed up the apps and new music from the first iPad. Seems to have gone according to plan. I see the new tunes and apps on the PC. One thing though. I don't see an option to select some apps and not others to put onto the new iPad. No boxes to select or de-select. Will I have to wait until after I've set up the new one to do the selecting?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, there are some things you can't do until/unless the iPad is actually plugged into iTunes. You can see the apps that are in iTunes, but until iTunes recognizes/sees an iPad, it can't help you sync and such.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Yeah, there are some things you can't do until/unless the iPad is actually plugged into iTunes. You can see the apps that are in iTunes, but until iTunes recognizes/sees an iPad, it can't help you sync and such.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Yes, thanks. I'm in the middle of putting apps and music onto the new one right now. Found the boxes next to the apps and have checked the ones I want. As I read your earlier post, it sounded like I could select all the apps then go into music and select those and then hit apply and do all at once correct. Or should I have done the apps, apply those, then go into music and apply those? Because I did the former and am now in the music section. But I have a problem. I checked the "Selected playlists, artists,albums and genres" at the top. But It only gives me those four choices from which to select the music. It's not giving me the option of selecting individual songs. Is there any way I can do this?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Never noticed that before (I sync via playlist). Kind of odd ... but that's iTunes for ya!

Only thing I can think for you to do is to make a playlist for the songs you want on the iPad(s) ... kind of what DefBref mentioned a few posts earlier? Either one huge, all-songs playlist or make one playlist per genre (or whatever...).

Kind of annoying to start with, I would say, but the good thing is that once it's done, it's done. And, if you leave it checked to sync the music, it'll auto sync when you plug it in (so, if you've added music to the iPad(s) playlist, it'll copy over when you sync the iPad back).

Sorry 'bout that!

Marilyn

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Huh. Never noticed that before (I sync via playlist). Kind of odd ... but that's iTunes for ya!

Only thing I can think for you to do is to make a playlist for the songs you want on the iPad(s) ... kind of what DefBref mentioned a few posts earlier? Either one huge, all-songs playlist or make one playlist per genre (or whatever...).

Kind of annoying to start with, I would say, but the good thing is that once it's done, it's done. And, if you leave it checked to sync the music, it'll auto sync when you plug it in (so, if you've added music to the iPad(s) playlist, it'll copy over when you sync the iPad back).

Sorry 'bout that!

Marilyn

No need to apologize. Thank you so much for all your help Marilyn. Yes, as it turned out, making a new playlist would've probably been the way to go. What I ended up doing was compromising with my wife and adding a few more playlists and albums that included the individual songs she wanted. I didn't want to take a chance and exit out of the iPad list to go into iTunes and create a new playlist and risk all the work I'd already done. Wimpy, I know. But she's got her songs plus a few more and it doesn't take up all that much space.

So now it's synching the music and apps as I type. I'm not sure what you mean in your last thought. Which box should I be checking to have it auto sync when I plug it in? Do I need to check it before I unplug the iPad? It's done synching now and I'm anxious to unplug and see if I did everything right. :)

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, one more question. If it says "OK to disconnect" in the status box at the top, do I still need to right click and eject on the device in the area on the left?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Kind of annoying to start with, I would say, but the good thing is that once it's done, it's done. And, if you leave it checked to sync the music, it'll auto sync when you plug it in (so, if you've added music to the iPad(s) playlist, it'll copy over when you sync the iPad back). ... Marilyn

So now it's synching the music and apps as I type. I'm not sure what you mean in your last thought. Which box should I be checking to have it auto sync when I plug it in? Do I need to check it before I unplug the iPad? It's done synching now and I'm anxious to unplug and see if I did everything right. :)

What I meant here was to leave the checkmark (under the Music line at the top). Cause if you try to uncheck itiTunes will ask if you want to unsync and if you say yes - it'll take all your music off! So, leave it checked.

With it checked, later, if you add/remove songs to whatever playlists/genres/etc. you've got sync'd to that particular iPad - after you plug in the iPad, you can just go back to the Music tab, hit the "sync" button and it'll make those changes.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Sorry, one more question. If it says "OK to disconnect" in the status box at the top, do I still need to right click and eject on the device in the area on the left?

I always do. I always treat it like a flash drive or SD card (where you should always (in Windows) "safely remove hardware and eject media." Never hurts, IMNSHO.

Marilyn

OP
I

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again Marilyn. Took your advice and all is working now. The new iPad2 is up and running. Thank you all for the help.:)

Most reactions