What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning off iPad screen but keeping software running

David Taylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, bit of a peculiar need I guess, lot's of advice out there on keeping it running with lid shut but I am using this iPad to control a telescope all night but once it's up and running there's no need for the screen to be on so need to close the lid and keep the telescope control app running without the screen on, apart from wasting battery life the screen also gets covered in dew.

Thanks

Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, unless the app specifically has the ability to run in the background, this is not possible. The kinds of pps that will run in the background are limited by Apple’s API’s (part of the protecting battery life). If the telescope control app does not have this ability baked in there is no way to force the screen off and keep the app running.

You can conserve battery life by turning the screen brightness down, and (if the app supports it) using night mode. Also, the app may have a red screen mode. Most of the better astronomy apps do.

Perhaps you can place the iPad in a protective box. (If so provide enough space for cooling/ventilation).

Or dedicate a Raspberry Pi to the telescope. I keep meaning to get one or two of those to play with.

OP
D

David Taylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, bit annoying as on PC I can just shut lid and it all keeps running,

Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts