What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn Off/On iPad Air 2 Screen with App Running in Background

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running a DAW app called Auria which I am using as a mixer, and for running backing tracks on an iPad Air 2 during live performances.

How do I turn off (and turn back on) the screen to save battery power without disconnecting Auria? In other words, I want Auria to remain functional in the background without being disconnected from the backing track or mixer mode that I am using.

I have set the screen to never turn off, and disabled all button clicks and sounds generated by other apps such as email etc. which could also pose a problem, but what else do I need to do?

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am running a DAW app called Auria which I am using as a mixer, and for running backing tracks on an iPad Air 2 during live performances.

How do I turn off (and turn back on) the screen to save battery power without disconnecting Auria? In other words, I want Auria to remain functional in the background without being disconnected from the backing track or mixer mode that I am using.

I have set the screen to never turn off, and disabled all button clicks and sounds generated by other apps such as email etc. which could also pose a problem, but what else do I need to do?

Thanks
How an app can work in the background is up to the app developer and the Apple guidelines on what apps are allowed to do in the background.

With a stock(non-jailbroken) iPad, the iPad goes to sleep when the screen shuts off. Most apps will stop operating in the background at that point. Some apps, such as the Audible app, will keep working in the background when the iPad is asleep. You should contact the app developer to find out if the app can be made to work in the background when the screen turns off.

Last edited:
OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57 for the info, however, my post was based on the following tip from another Auria user, but I can't seem to get it to work, i.e.

First you need to set ipad so screen never turns off automatically via ipad settings. While you are there also disable button clicks and other ipad sounds so they don't come blaring through the speakers when you navigate around the ipad. Next enable background audio in auria settings. Now while you are using it as a live mixer and happy with all your settings you simply minimize auria using ipad screen button (it keeps working in the background in a red bar across the top of ipad which you can touch to restore auria). When auria is running in background like this you can now turn off the screen with the screen button on ipad and the interface remains connected and all is good. Probably saves a few cpu cycles as well I suppose. To adjust anything just turn on the screen using any button and then hit the red bar across the top where auria is working in the background and auria is back full screen.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a post from 2013. Lots of things have changed since then, and what they're describing there is supposedly not working any more.
It would be better to contact the developer, as suggested by scifan57 above.

Most reactions

Latest posts