What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad Air keeps cycling through home screen and Apple logo screen

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad was fine last night, opened it this morning and the home screen comes up, but won't let me use the slider to open it. It then goes to the black screen with the Apple logo, then goes black, then back to the home screen again. It won't allow me to shut it down, just keeps cycling through this sequence. Plugged in the charger, and it keeps beeping like when you first plug it in to charge. So I've unplugged it and left it to run down the battery. Have tried to shut it down with both buttons, but no joy. Baffled.

Am running IOS7, worked perfectly, haven't been brave enough to upgrade to 8 :)

TIA
Lesley

OP
F

Finvarra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi JA, followed your instructions, which didn't work at first. However, I managed to get it to talk to iTunes,, and told it to update, although the ipad itself was still going through this constant cycle of not being able to switch on. Although I couldn't see what was going on, it seemed that it updated, occasionally a screen flashed briefly that gave me hope! The on iTunes it said it couldn't update because my ipad didn't trust the mac computer! How weird as it's the one it syncs with all the time. The ipad didn't appear to have recovered, so I switched it off and it sat by the computer for a couple of days while I summoned up the will to try again.

Just started it up, and all appears normal!! It has updated to IOS 8, all my apps and photos are still there (phew!), and it seems to be working normally. Done it all by itself! I am so relieved.

Thank you very much for your help and advice. I am very untechie, so this website and the people who give their valuable advice free to the likes of myself, is a godsend. Have a glass of virtual champagne on me :))

Lesley
PS, Now I fell brave enough to upgrade the mac and the iPhone to IOS 8.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great! I'm glad it's working now. :)

A short hint: if you notice any glitches, try a reset (press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then let go of both. Your device will power up on it's own). This won't remove data or change settings.

Most reactions