What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troubleshooting iCloud

Resoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A month or so ago, I registered for iCloud and my iMac, iPhone and iPad were syncing successfully. Well, they aren't syncing at all anymore and I don't know where to look for the problem. I've got the most current OS on each of the devices and the iPhone and iPod both have iCloud turned on.
Where do I start looking for answers?

Thanks,

Gary

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What version of the IOS are you running, there was an update to 5.01 a few weeks ago?
If you are running 5.01, confirm you passwords came over during the update, re-enter them
Also you can try and turn off iCloud then turn it back on.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

JimBrear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For something that is supposed to "Just Work" my experimenting with iCloud has lost me many hours. My hope was to seamlessly synch Contacts, Calendars and internet favourites between 2 IOS devices and 3 windows computers. Contacts is working OK with only slight differences between devices. Calendars are less stable. I seem to have multiple entries on some devices and items not appearing on others. I still have not worked out how to manage Calendar merge conflicts. Synching Favourites is a nightmare. I want one Favourites list showing up on all devices. I I organise the favourites on the main iTunes computer the changes do not show up on anything else. The main problem is the complete lack of detailed documentation from Apple. Are we all expected to learn by trial and error? If I could read how the thing is supposed to work and how to access and manipulate the data in icloud thing would be much easier.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First the simple, about iCal, open iCal on your IOS device. On the upper left hand corner (when in month view) there is a button called calendar. Select, and look (check mark next to each) which calendars are being displayed. For the time being select all. Take a look at your calendar and see if all you events are there. If they are then iCloud is working. Go to each of your devices and confirm that the default calendar for new events are all the same one.
As for set up instructions a good start is Apple

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

OP
R

Resoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, a month after starting this thread, I still don't have a working iCloud setup. I've checked everything that's been recommended, and everything else I can find, with no success. Here are my vitals:
iMac running 10.7.2
iPad 2 running 5.0.1
iPhone 4 running 5.0.1
I'm primarily interested in having my calendars and contacts in sync with each other. I've checked the "Calendars" button on each device and made sure they were all set to "all" (they were). I do most, but not all, of my calendar entries on the iMac, and the two mobile devices haven't gotten any of the appointments I've entered there. I just checked the iCloud settings in my iMac System Preferences and they're set to sync Calendars and Contacts, which is all I really care about.
I'm using 1.8 GB of iCloud storage, for what it's worth.
I'd love to get iCloud working on my computer - any suggestions?

Gary

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are all the devices you are wanting to sync connected to the same wifi? I know that my devices have to be connected to my main router, and if one is connected to the range extender boosting that router's signal, they don't sync. They connect to whichever one they are getting a stronger signal from depending on where I am in the house and it took me a while to work out why syncing and iCloud backup sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

OP
R

Resoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Are all the devices you are wanting to sync connected to the same wifi?"
Yep, they are. The WIFI connection seems to be strong and stable, and I don't have any kind of range extender.

Gary

Most reactions

Latest posts