iCloud backup problem

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by planky, Oct 13, 2011.

1. planky

planky iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi

I'm having some problems with backing up to iCloud from my iPad. When I first installed iOS5 today and setup iCloud, I used my iTunes account sign in. It synced with iCloud and performed a backup properly.

Unfortunately I then realised that I should be using my old MobileMe account, which I successfully copied across to iCloud and setup on my iPhone. I went in and deleted my iTunes account details from the iCloud settings, and entered in the new account details. This seemed to verify correctly, and I am able to view contacts, calendars etc. stored on iCloud and save documents to iCloud from goodreader.

However when I try to switch on iCloud backup, it displays the error message 'There was a problem enabling iCloud backup'. I have tried multiple times over a number of hours, and on several different wireless networks to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Thanks, Pete
  2. tecknoes

tecknoes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    iCloud Backup

Managed to install iOS 5 but the iCloud backup will not connect it keeps saying iCloud backup failed try again later....... anyone else got this message and have you found a solution. Or maybe the sever is overloaded?????

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  3. Fluidz

Fluidz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here.. And it failed to sync while initially setting up my ipad 2.
  4. aseymour

aseymour iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems to be the same problem many of us are having. Assuming it will be cleared up and also all the people who blew up devices upgrading to the new IOS. I have the Icloud backup error message as well. Perhaps the servers are stressed
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. petchee

petchee iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New to this Forum lark, I've successfully installed the Ios5' on IPad 2 an hour or so ago and have the same trouble with
    backing up to the cloud, not that I've managed to find it yet, I presume there must be a bit of a log jam due to the new OS,
    will probably be back later for help finding the cloud.

thanks Pete
  6. petchee

petchee iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Further to my previous post, I found that the settings under summary in iTunes may have to be set to back up to icloud, I tried it and although the iPad said that it had failed, the summary then thinks you have
    backed up.
    Under the settings/icloud-Backup it states "when this iPad is plugged in, Locked and connected to WiFi" what is meant by Locked, is this causing the backup failures?

Anyone?

Pete
  7. kspector

kspector iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    HI,
    Is anyone worried about the security or stability of iCloud for backup purposes? What happens if something happens to the iCloud servers? Do they backup the iCloud to perhaps the iUniverse???

Thanks
  8. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +846 / 0
    Well, I've not yet upgraded to iOS 5 on my iPad2 nor of course signed up for iCloud - waiting until next week to let Apple sort of 'recover'! But there have already been numerous threads posting about the same issue you described - most feel that server overload is the culprit - hopefully as the days past this will resolve - good luck! :)
  9. c230k

c230k iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have the same problem,maybe time will fix it.
    I can not verify icloud account. On Ipad settings under icloud said check your email for instructions to verify this accoung.Account not verified. Never received email to verify. Tried my Apple account and it would not verify either. Need to retreve backup. I also lost all of my apps and though icloud backup would fix the problem.
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    Tom ​
  10. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +846 / 0
    Cloud technology has and will become a dominant feature of using the internet, and security is and will always be an issue for those using its various services, whether the new iCloud or for other reasons (e.g. banking, apps, file storage, credit cards, etc.) - can we all trust the 'angels up in the clouds' - I believe this is a concern for all using this technology in the sky - hope that stability, access, and security is maintained - :)
  11. aseymour

aseymour iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm assuming "locked" means a password is setup and access to the devive is locked. Also seems to be a lot of confusion about plugged into what...just power...or does it still have to be connected to a laptop for cloud backup and sync
  12. aseymour

aseymour iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So true...I would hope no one would put anything in the cloud they do not want the entire world to see...just assume it can happen or that it can all be lost
  13. bodge46

bodge46 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Having same problem, won't connect to I Cloud for backup. My question is "Is there any way to still use the Ipad 2 while this problem exists?" When I try to back out thru start over it says it will erase IPad settings. Don't know if this means a total start over for IOS 5 or just the cloud set up portion. Don't want to do a total reinstall.
  14. beechjetdriver

beechjetdriver iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am having the same problem. Whenever I try to enable iCloud, I get the "There was a problem enabling iCloud backup". Hope Apple will remedy this soon; I was looking forward to storing my backups in the cloud.
  15. charm

charm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same problem even though I did get the confirmation email from apple that I had set up iCloud
    Other threads suggest going into settings or back to ITunes but that does not work either
    Frustrating
  16. petchee

petchee iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dont continue it will go back to factory settings, just go back via the Back icon, and choose the other path
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  17. beechjetdriver

beechjetdriver iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I may have stumbled upon a solution. With the plethora of app updates flooding my iPad today, I decided to do a backup sync to my iMac. While performing the sync, I noticed an option I had not noticed before in iTunes: backup to iCloud, or backup to this computer. Backup to this computer was checked, so I switched it to backup to iCloud, then clicked on apply, and voila, iCloud backup was enabled on my iPad. With only 5 gigabytes of free online storage available, I now realize I'll have to opt for at least another 10 gigabytes at $20 a year.
  18. beechjetdriver

beechjetdriver iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife and I had both been Palm Pre users since they first came out (and are both switching to iPhone 4S), which used an operating system known as webOS, and with total reliance on "the cloud," not only for backup purposes, but integrated the operating system with the web. Never had any problems, and was even able to restore my wife's data and apps via the cloud when she had to get a replacement handset. While no backup system is totally reliable or secure (I'm on my third Mac Time Machine external hard drive), I've no doubt that Apple's iCloud servers will themselves be backed up and will be as secure as Apple. They want to protect the brand as much as we want to protect our data.
  19. petchee

petchee iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    beechjetdriver -----I tried this way via itunes, and in the summary it actually says that it was backed up to icloud, but on the iPad,
    the backup commences but stops after a few seconds, so don't trust that it succeeded

pete
  20. petchee

petchee iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    for beechjetdriver -
    I tried this way via itunes, and in the summary it actually says that it was backed up to icloud, but on the iPad,
    the backup commences but stops after a few seconds, so don't trust that it succeeded

pete