What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

icloud drive!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No iCloud at all then. If it's off, then all iCloud dependent services will be disabled.

I think I mentioned these in the other thread, but in case I didn't.

Have you turned off all the automatic download switches in Settings > iTunes & App Store?

Turned off Background App Refresh in Settings > General?

Change your Fetch New Data settings in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars to Manual?

If you use the Podcasts app, make sure Background App Refresh is off.

And while it would be very little data, you can also turn off Automatically Send for Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage.

Location services will also use a little internet data in the background. Again, it shouldn't be much.

The only other thing that I can think of are third party apps, especially ones that track, navigate, or otherwise update in the background. That's going to be a matter of trial and error, or the data usage app/services I mentioned earlier. Pay attention to any app that promises to stay synced with online files or services like DropBox, Evernote, etc.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet

I take it back that it only happens when plugged in.

I unplugged it this morning then turned it on at 9:15 and by 9:20 it had dropped 36 megs.

I will double check everything again

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK

I looked at the Diagnostics and Usage.

When I saw the data dropping I briefly plugged it back in and then unplugged it.

There is a report at 9:19:01 approx when I plugged it in then unplugged it.

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (EXCABRT)

I have no idea what that means.

I have noticed that when it is plugged in for charging and turned completely off, when it is fully charged and turned back on the battery indicator shows 100% and it says Not Charging. This started happening after the last update. I don't know if this means anything.

Since I plugged it in and unplugged it, there has been no more data dropping. I guess whatever it was crashed?

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Upon further examination of the Usage and Diagnostics, I believe that iCloud, Numbers and Pages are NOT the problem. So, I apologize to them.

I updated to 8.1.1 in the wee hours of the morning on 11-25. Problems with data draining started before that.

There are 2 records in the Diagnostics for the 23rd:
OTAUpdate-2014-11-23-19-39-34.ips
OTAUpdate-2014-11-23-20-02-37.ips

I stopped both of them as soon as I saw my data dropping. They have a Restore Error for iTunes.

I apparently stopped Apple from downloading again this morning.

There are several entries for splashboard-..._iPad.ips from 11-12 to today that have EXC_CRASH. Some seem to be dealing with media, bluetooth, address book, etc.

This because I saw my data dropping and turned off my wifi and/or unplugged my iPad. During those dates I sometimes left my wifi on and just unplugged the modem. There are errors saying Bad Connection.

My plan at this time is to wait until my free data time and let Apple have at it. If they can't get it together from 2am-7am then I don't know what else to do.

If it IS Apple doing stealth updates, then their arrogance is reprehensible. I cannot afford these "FREE" updates.

If anyone has any ideas or knowledge about the diagnostics, I'd appreciate ANY input.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not so much arrogance as not having special controls for edge cases. Most people, the vast majority, do not have a data limit on their home ISP. If you don't have to worry about hitting data limits on wi-fi, the automatic downloads make your life more convenient by taking care of stuff when you are not using the iPad. That leaves you the full bandwidth for tasks when you are using it.

There is nothing stealthy about it. Apple spent quite a bit of time explaining how it is a desirable feature. And it is, for most people. For those that want or need more control, it's a pain. But that's Apple. They almost always choose the most convenience for the greatest number with the minimum of complication.

Though, as iOS has grown up it's inevitably become complex, if not as complex as some other systems.

If you have a nearby library or other speedy, free, wi-fi available. That could be an options as well.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thakns again twerppoet

I have Hughesnet sattelite service because that is all that we have where I live. All of the plans have limits.

I wish that there were other options. Because there are no other options, I do not know anything about unlimited home ISP plans. Just for information purposes, could you tell me which ISP home providers offer unlimited plans for wireless? I have seen commercials for unlimited cellular plans for phones.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help me. Especially when I was totally clueless and thought that iCloud was causing data draining and was totally frustrated.

I just think that it would not take much for Apple to just send out update information. This way, those of us on limited plans would not be trying to figure out why our data allowance was suddenly depleted. A simple pop-up or notice in Settings is all that I ask.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The unlimited home internet plans are normally those offered by cable providers or the phone company. Do you have a landline phone? If so, try calling the phone company and asking about Internet plans.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most providers of home internet don't even tell you it's unlimited, because it's not a differentiator. Everyone is unlimited. Instead they advertise speeds. Comcast, Verizon, and Charter are some of the biggest, but there are probably a few smaller, local ones too. Don't confuse Verizon's home internet with cellular/wireless. Same company, different services. Internet is typically delivered via landline phone, CATV cable, or rarely by fiber.

Remote residences can be out of range for wired services in this part of the country too. At my last residence I almost went with satellite, but found my local power company ran a wi-if delivered ISP from their towers. This is pretty common for rural areas. Check with yours and see if they have it, and whether you've got a line-of-site to one of their towers. While the speeds are nothing great they probably don't have a data limit.

Using an LTE hotspot/modem is also good if you have a good signal. That will probably have a data limit, but it's way faster than starlight. It's probably (a lot) more expensive too, but you might as well ask your local wireless providers, just in case.

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you scifan57 and twerppoet

I guess I'm SOL. I do not have a landline and my power company does not have wifi towers.

I have been trying to get AT&T wireless, but they are all filled up and I can't get it until someone drops their service. They don't have a waiting list. They say to keep checking with them.

There is no cable service out here either. I have DirecTV.

I just have to keep an eye on my data allowance and stop Apple downloads before they totally drain my data.

Thanks. I appreciate your help and input.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Maybe you can start leaving subtle hints, like flyers with great real-estate deals under your neighbor's windshield wipers. :)

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a thought- I also wanted to stop the automatic OS updates and one way to do so is to have less available storage on your iPad than the update requires. it won't auto update then. I certainly didn't want memory used up for something I had no intention of using.

On another note- if you can get in with AT&T the hotspot feature works pretty well. I used to have Wildblue satellite internet with a data cap and the "fair usage" buffering- it was miserable. I switched to an antenna line -of-site style system which was better with no data caps but still glitchy and very weather dependent. I eventually switched to just using our phones hot spots and like it the best. The LTE is fast and AT&T from time to time offers data deals to compete with competitors. We started with 10 gig, outgrew that decided to pay a little extra with 15 gig. Low and behold a couple month later they silently offered a promotion to doubble to 30 gig for free for life (as long as we don't change plans). So now we share 30 gig for computers, iPads, smartphones and all at a $50/month savings over the other rural Internet offers. So keep trying!

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you Husq!

I use TracFone. It is tons cheaper. With Verizon I paid $50 a month and lost the minutes that I did not use. With TracFone I pay a little less than $100 A YEAR. I have a triple minutes phone and always get the promo code for an extra 250 minutes which equals 1450 minutes PLUS anything that is left over from the previous year and I am set. In my area, TracFone uses AT&T, so it is very dependable.

The plan that I have with Hughesnet is adequate EXCEPT for when I get the forced downloads from Apple. It really ticks me off when they do this. They take MY DATA that is for my personal use!

Thanks again!

Most reactions