Traveling with the Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Travel Forum' started by Biggysmallz, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Norm01

Norm01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is good to know. I'm going down next week, I have a U.S. address I can use and will try my Canadian Visa card, based on your post this should work.
  2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Any creditcard giftcard that you purchase can be used with any name/address.
    They sell visa giftcards
    amex giftcards
    mastercard giftcards
    american express giftcards

as long as its a prepaid giftcard, meaning you pay in advance to load money onto it. You can enter any address or name. The cards dont actualy have a name or address as they are meant to be given as gifts and will work with any name or address given.
  3. Smithy12

Smithy12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anybody actually used a prepay AT&T sim in the iPad. I'm from the UK and will be travelling within the California area on vacation and was hoping to use my iPad.

I can buy a sim card via e@ay and the seller will also be able to put credit on the sim.

Thanks
  4. RobertHodgson

RobertHodgson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ATT&T Sim

The Ipad account has to be set up on the Ipad directly so adding credit to the sim before hand will not work.

When you get the the States just stop by a Corp ATT&T store and buy the micro sim there, enter the stores address and use your American Express and you should have no problems

Failing that just pick up a Visa Gift card and use it

Rob
  5. Norm01

Norm01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am presently in the States on vacation. What I did was buy an AT&T micro sim off of eBay as I didn't want to be looking for a store while on the road. When I got here I tried to sign up with a U.S. address and my Canadian visa number on the iPad and it would not accept it. It kept kicking back the address I guess because it didn't match my address on file. I went down to the pharmacy here, picked up a prepaid visa and that worked like a charm. One important note, after you sign up immediately cancel your account through the iPad, your account will stay valid for the term and cancel at the end. The reason I say this is if you leave the country and didn't cancel your account and you do not have AT&T service you will not be able to cancel and it auto-renews every month.
  6. Biggysmallz

Biggysmallz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Quick question for Mike and the other gurus, how would you compare the Ipad with the Netbook where traveling and connectivity is concerned. By traveling, I am here referring to being in another country.
  7. Norm01

Norm01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad hands down, instant boot, check stuff quickly, maps, portability, it's all better. I brought my net book for the kids however it stays in the condo, the iPad is with us all the time, the map app is great for getting around and searching info while on the move. Brought it to the beach for music and movies, it was great. Battery life is also a big plus compared to the net book. I would say though that it would not be so great without the 3G, luckily this is easily done and well worth the $25.
  8. Biggysmallz

Biggysmallz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok. Thanks for your response. What about the net book as far as connecting to the internet when traveling to another country? I am not talking about wifi now. How practical is it to use the stick? Like with the Ipad, you can put in another micro sim what do you do for the Netbook?
  9. Stefx

Stefx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is great stuff
    I'm a Canadian going on vacation in the US soon and will try the prepaid credit card method.
    How much will I need on that prepaid credit card for the At&T plan (the larger one). My vacation is less than a month, so I want to buy a prepaid that'll be just enough to pay for one month and cover any other fee if applicable.
    Regards
  10. Norm01

Norm01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It depends on what State you use as your address, some charge tax, some don't. I used my Florida address and didn't pay tax so it cost an even $25 for the 2Gig package. You might as well get a bigger pre-paid credit card like I did ($50) and use up the rest on other things, I gave it to the kids as its great for them to use.
  11. Norm01

Norm01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BTW, I also unlocked my IPhone 3G and bought the wife an unlocked GSM phone. Bought two AT&T GoPhone sims off ebay for $.99 each and bought two $15 prepaid card when down here. We pay $1 a day per phone and that gets us unlimited cell to cell calling and $.10/minute to land lines.
  12. Stefx

Stefx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok I will do that
    I was just wondering if there was an activation fee or something
    We're going to various States in New England
  13. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Count on activation fees unless you sign their standard two year contract. Virgin mobile is pretty decent for pay as you go
  14. Norm01

Norm01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What?

There are no activation fees on the IPad and no minimum service agreement. Simply insert sim, sign up for service on the IPad and then cancel on the IPad. The only catch is you need to be in a Wifi hot spot to sign up as you need wifi to get the sim signed up, remember to cancel before leaving the U.S. Because it needs to be done on the IPad, not sure if it would work when you are back home and out of carrier range, calling them could be painful.
  15. Stefx

Stefx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the clarification on the activation fees
  16. mats

mats iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ipad sim in UK

is there a sim for ipad in UK I can buy when I`m there..at the moment no stores have it so I cannot use it (2 expensive 2 use my swedish carrier)
  17. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Mats check with 3.co.uk.
    They do pay as you go sim cards and its fairly easy to top up either through a phone shop or online.
    Stopped at a motorway cafe the other day and found my credit was low so popped into a phone shop nextdoor and bought 25gb, openned the 3 site in my browser and entered the code. Done.
  18. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Unfortunately, with Telus, in Canada, there are. You are given a phone number for the iPad and there were activation fees of 35$. When I got my first bill, those fees were not there but that does not mean they won't charge me later.

I wasn't able to hook up with the iPad by myself. The service was only offered the week before. The technician I reached only got the seminar on the preceding day and still hadn't even seen an iPad.
  19. Stefx

Stefx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    it didnt work
    were on our way to boston from montreal, i stopped in burlington at the att store
    they say they cant sell me a microsim if i dont have an acount with att
    we spent an hour on the phone with att customer service
    i argued, saying that once i would put the microsim in, id have to create the acount and payment info
    i managed to convince them to let me try. they got a microsim, popped it in.
    when trying to go in the "acou t info" in the cellular settings, itjust said no service. rebooting didnt work. i gave up.
    i stopped in a rest area with wifi to post this. If you have ideas or suggestions i would appreciate
    from the hotel in boston ill have wifi and check for replies
    thanks
  20. Biggysmallz

Biggysmallz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure what you mean.

When you say Burlington, is this the one in Ontario?

If it is, I am not sure if AT&T in Burlington would work out for you. Maybe I didn't get that part right.

Anyway, the system does work. I am from Ontario and currently traveling. I am in West Palm Beach right now as I type using 3G from AT&T.

I landed in Georgia, went to the local Walmart, bought the AT&T microsim card, inserted it. I also bought a prepaid credit card. I have to admit, I wasn't so sure about that part because the card had Walmart written on it and said it could' be used outside of the country. I was of the feeling that a prepaid gift credit card would work anywhere.

I tried to connect the service but it wasn't working at first because I had not registered the card online. After I did that, everything has been working smoothly. The one problem I am having, minor though it may be, is that when I am in some areas in Georgia I only get Edge service instead of 3G. Other that, the system works.

I am not sure but maybe what you should try doing is do all your hook ups in the country you plan to use the service.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010