Most flexible SIM card setup for frequent visitor to U.S.?

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by drjuliebug, Mar 29, 2011.

1. drjuliebug

drjuliebug iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm an American living in Canada. Just got my iPad 2 with 3G, and a Bell SIM card. Haven't set up service yet, but probably will soon.

I travel to the U.S. regularly -- maybe twice a month, almost always for only a couple of days at a time. I don't want to pay monthly fees for a feature I use so sporadically, but it would be really handy to have some 3G service in the States. I also travel less frequently outside both countries -- maybe once or twice a year.

Can anyone suggest a good pay-as-you-go micro SIM card that works in the U.S., and preferably elsewhere? I don't have the personal hotspot option right now, since my iPhone is a 3GS and it would be prohibitively expensive for me to upgrade it while it's under contract. I make so few phone calls that even my international phone roaming charges are minuscule. But I can really see using the 3G capability of my iPad while traveling, both in the U.S. and elsewhere.

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    In the US you have only one choice AT&T because your Canadian iPad is GSM and will not work with the Verizon network. AT&T offer monthly plans - pay as you go...

AT&T Domestic US Plans
    250MB $14.99
    2.0GB $25.00

These are the monthly rates.

Outside the US you're better getting local pre-paid SIMs to avoid roaming charges. In the UK they're readily available at any supermarket or mobile phone retailer

I hope that you enjoy your trips with the iPad. Let us know of your experiences.

Tim
    Scotland