What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most flexible SIM card setup for frequent visitor to U.S.?

drjuliebug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an American living in Canada. Just got my iPad 2 with 3G, and a Bell SIM card. Haven't set up service yet, but probably will soon.

I travel to the U.S. regularly -- maybe twice a month, almost always for only a couple of days at a time. I don't want to pay monthly fees for a feature I use so sporadically, but it would be really handy to have some 3G service in the States. I also travel less frequently outside both countries -- maybe once or twice a year.

Can anyone suggest a good pay-as-you-go micro SIM card that works in the U.S., and preferably elsewhere? I don't have the personal hotspot option right now, since my iPhone is a 3GS and it would be prohibitively expensive for me to upgrade it while it's under contract. I make so few phone calls that even my international phone roaming charges are minuscule. But I can really see using the 3G capability of my iPad while traveling, both in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the US you have only one choice AT&T because your Canadian iPad is GSM and will not work with the Verizon network. AT&T offer monthly plans - pay as you go...

AT&T Domestic US Plans
250MB $14.99
2.0GB $25.00

These are the monthly rates.

Outside the US you're better getting local pre-paid SIMs to avoid roaming charges. In the UK they're readily available at any supermarket or mobile phone retailer

I hope that you enjoy your trips with the iPad. Let us know of your experiences.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts