What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling with the Ipad

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try an Apple store if there's one near you. In Canada they give you free of charge Bell or Rogers sims. I had ordered mine through Ebay before heading south, when I got to the States it was an easy sign up. Keep in mind that I believe you need to be hooked up on wifi to get the sim set up, if you were not on wifi in the AT&T store this may have been your issue.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, no success
Walmart had no stock on microsims, and doesn't sell the iPhone 4 anymore apparently
I'll follow your suggestions above for Best Buy or the Apple store.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
best buy did not work
talked to three people there. according to them their ipads and iphones 4 come with the microsim already in the device, they have no microsims on the side

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, finally! success

went to another ATT store and got a microsim for fifteen dollars

a note to other Canadians who want to try this... the Visa gift card must be "registered" online before you use it.
instructions are on the card

also, I confirm ht you need a wifi connection active to activate the microsim. I was afraid it might require the ipad to be connected to a computer with itunes like Rogers did, but no.

Last edited:

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you, now go ahead and cancel it on the IPad, don't worry it will stay active for the 30 days. This will make sure it does not auto renew next month. If you don't do it before you leave the States you may not be able to cancel easy without AT&T service in Canada.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I did cancel it.
After 60 days of inactivity, the acount is automatically deleted.

Did you look at the "international data package" options? »Ridiculous... 200$ for 20MB lol.
Latest high tech technology with dark ages plan structure.

GVWR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Travel in Canada

What are the options for purchasing a micro-sim in Canada?
Do any of the carriers NOT charge an activation fee?
I'll be traveling through Canada twice in the next month and would like to avoid AT&T's pricey data roaming charges.

Bell?
Rogers?
Telus?

Will a Canadian Apple store mail me the sim card?

What are my options?

Thanks

cindy1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Walk into any corperate AT&T store and ask for an iPad simcard. They will charge you $16 for the simcard. After puting it into your ipad you then sign up for the data plan you want right on the iPad. $15 for 250MB or $25 for 5gb of data.

No longer. It's now 250 MB for $15 and 2 GB for $25.
yeah, that was a typo, I fixed it.
the plans used to be 250MB for $15 and $30 for unlimited. now its
250MB for $15 and 2GB for $25

That was depends on the time, I think

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be traveling through Canada twice in the next month and would like to avoid AT&T's pricey data roaming charges.

Bell?
Rogers?
Telus?

What are my options?

Thanks

Best to go with Rogers.
Purchase the microsim and connection is done directly on the ipad. You just need to have wifi connection.

I am not sure about pre purchasing. Just go to a Rogers store. Most of them will have it.

If you go any of the other two, you may have to call in to get connected but there are no activation fees.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Bell?
Rogers?
Telus?

What are my options?

Thanks

I`ve had Bell and now Rogers

For Bell, I purchased the microsim at BestBuy Canada for 10-15$

For Rogers, I walked in a Rogers store and they gave me one for free.

I don`t recall an activation fee.
In both cases, I had to plug my iPad into my desktop with iTunes to update the carrier settings.
I don`t recall if I was on the wifi when I tried, like said above.

OP
B

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I did cancel it.

Did you look at the "international data package" options? »Ridiculous... 200$ for 20MB lol.

I had a problem with how that was worded. I chose the other option which canceled the service immediately. That was ok, because it was when I was leaving.

Somehow I wasn't sure about whether they would at least try to bill me for another month, at least.

rlivingston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad in Canada for US citizen

The problem is not the SIM card. You can get that easily enough. I got SIM cards from Bell and ROGERS free at an Apple store. The problem is that they (the carriers) would not let me set up an account without a Canadian VISA card.

I actually got two months of service with Bell because their account setup was done over the phone in the past and the guy accepted my US VISA card. That is no longer the case. And they will not let me continue with my existing account.

rlivingston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad in Canada for American tourist

We went the route of getting a prepaid VISA card. We put in a Canadian address (our summer house)

We got a Rogers SIM card. We went through the entire account process. Everything seemed to be OK. It said you will be notified in a few minutes when activated. But after 30 minutes, it said that activation failed.

So far still failure. I am in the Apple store as I write this (Vancouver BC) and the people here are still trying to help. Apple has the best customer service of any retail I have ever been at. They are trying to talk to Rogers on the phone.

Good Luck...

If it works, I will post again. But discouraged. Now about 8 hours into trying to get this done.

(You cannot use a US VISA card because setting up the account is impossible without a Canadian address and your US VISA card has a US billing address. You cannot put in some random Canadian address and expect it to work. The software is smart enough to know that the address does not match the billing address)

rlivingston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success finally

Bought a prepaid VISA gift card. Needed cash and two pieces of ID. Went to Royal Bank of Canada for this. Got a non reload able card but since we go to Canada often probably should have gotten a reload able one.

Then went to Vancouver Apple store and spent three hours with the incredibly helpful Apple people. Great store.

First actually tried the Bell store. They did not even know they supported the iPad.

Went to the Apple store and first "registered" the VISA card using the Canadian address of a summer house.

So in the Apple store first tried Rogers. This ultimately unsuccessful. We would wait for a long time and then the message would come back Activation failed. Did this repeatedly. Finally a message came up saying that financial institution had rejected our purchase.

Then tried Bell. Put another SIM card in and filled out all the forms. We used the same Canadian address. This time success.

1. We succeeded with a prepaid VISA card
2. We had success with Bell and not Rogers
3. The Apple store provides the best retail experience I have ever had.

iPadLovr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I did cancel it.

G'day I had an issue with my roaming charges as I travel a lot here in Europe and averaged 300 € per month. I have opted for wabnet as they cover my area.

Best of luck
ipadLovr

Most reactions

Latest posts