What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring e-mail Addresses Question (and on the voice dictation feature)

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Brand new iPad3 user.

I use on my regular Windows PC Comcast for internet connection and also go to their site for retrieving my e-mail sometimes when I'm away from the house.

I mainly use Thunderbird for e mails. Have about 75 or so e mail addresses in Thunderbird.

I was told that for the voice dictation to work when composing and sending e mails, you need the address in the
iPad3 Contact-List. I guess that this is so it can actually find it. True ?

Anyway, how can I transfer all my addresses from Thunderbird (or perhaps from the Comcast e-mail site) to the iPad ?
Putting them in, one by one, seems like a really big job.

BTW: what is your experience with using the voice commands for this and web surfing ?
Works "well" ?

Any hints to getting it to recognize and work better would be much appreciated ?

Thanks,
Bob

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never tried using diction for the address, but it makes sense. Most email addresses are not pronounceable, so you'd need some kind of list to match the real names to the email address. Other than a few quick tests dictating text, I've done little with this feature so far.

If Tunderbird (or Comcasat) can export it's address as a vCard file, then you can mail that to the iPad. In Mail in the iPad tap and hold the attachment, and you will get an option to import the file to Contacts.

I don't know if it is possible to sync with the Comcast address book. Do some research and if they offer LDAP, CardDAV, or ActiveSync (Exchange) servers you might be able to keep things synced that way.

Most reactions

Latest posts