What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring acct

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 that is Jailbroken. I also recently purchased an iPad Air. I have not yet setup the Air, because I want to transfer some of the apps on the "2" to the "Air". I plan to have my wife use the older iPad. I was thinking about backing up the old one, then resetting it to factory default. She has some games on the old iPad that she enjoys playing and would like to keep. Is it possible to pick and choose which apps to place on each ipad, or can I put the same apps on both iPads? Not that familiar with apple products as I should be, I guess. Is it possible to have the same setup both iPads, if it is under the same appleID? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 that is Jailbroken. I also recently purchased an iPad Air. I have not yet setup the Air, because I want to transfer some of the apps on the "2" to the "Air". I plan to have my wife use the older iPad. I was thinking about backing up the old one, then resetting it to factory default. She has some games on the old iPad that she enjoys playing and would like to keep. Is it possible to pick and choose which apps to place on each ipad, or can I put the same apps on both iPads? Not that familiar with apple products as I should be, I guess. Is it possible to have the same setup both iPads, if it is under the same appleID? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, here's the easiest thing to do:

Make a backup (using iTunes) of the older iPad. Then, disconnect it and connect the iPad Air. After the various welcomes and such are done, right click on the iPad Air tab and select "restore from backup." This will make the iPad Air exactly like the older iPad with the same settings, apps, files, etc.

Note that iTunes may offer you the opportunity to restore from a backup. In that case, accept the option - but make sure you pick the most recent backup you made.

Then, you can go on either device and delete and change what you wish to make the device "yours." iTunes will know the different devices, so when you sync and/or make backups, they will be unique. You can also set it up so that each iPad gets the other's app downloads (or not, if you don't want that option).

All this is possible as long as you keep the same Apple ID on there for the AppStore/iTunes. You can make a separate ID for things such as iCloud and iMessages (so you and your wife can have your own settings, there). But, as long as you keep the AppStore one the same, you can share apps.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. If you intend on resetting the old iPad to factory default, be sure you do that with iTunes. If you select the reset in the Settings app - it will mess up a jail broken device and you'll end up having to use iTunes anyway. And also, know that you'll be restoring the iPad with iOS 7.1, which is not jail breakable at this time ... maybe never.

OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backed up the old iPad, then set up the new iPad with the backed up version. So far, everything seems OK. One last question. I am playing a game (Clash of Clans) that is loaded from the Game Center. I cannot run both at the same time under the same account. I want to delete the CoC on the old iPad and only use the new iPad, but am afraid I will delete all the data stored for the account I am using. Is this the case, or will it only delete the data on the old iPad? I patiently await any suggestions.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you delete an app it asks if you'd also like to delete Game Center data for it.
So go ahead and delete the app and then when it asks you if you also want to delete Game Center data just click no.

Last edited:
OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This one did not give me the option. When I tried to delete it from the dock bar, it said "Deleting this will also delete all of its data". Then the only choices were Delete or Cancel.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As long as there is no option that deletes the Game Center data, go to the new iPad and make sure the game data is there. If it is already on the iPad you want it on, then deleting it off the old one should have no affect.

I should emphasize "should" on this. There are so many ways developer's can choose to store game data. In some cases it is simply not possible to get the game data to a new iPad. But, if the data is already present on the new iPad, the chances are in your favor.

Also, if the game has any other options, like syncing with FaceBook or another social game site/service, make sure you have that service turned on for both games, and they are in sync, before deleting off the old iPad. I used to lose my Bejeweled progress every time I moved to a new device, before I broke down and let it talk to FaceBook. {I checked after the fact to make sure I didn't end up spamming my followers with requests right after I did this, so far so good}

You'll have to make these decisions for each game individually. There is no global way of insuring the data, since as I said, each developer does their own thing.

OP
B

bimfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually was mistaken. When I pressed the icon to delete it, it said that it would delete the data. But when I accepted, it asked me if I wanted to retain the data. Then I clicked No. Now, I only have the game on one ipad. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Most reactions

Latest posts