What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toto, I dont think we are in Windows anymore (newbie)

Meera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I joined this because my wife got an iPad-2 a month ago after an iPad evangelic friend seduced her with it its flash and wonderful apparent usability.
She got it despite my reservations (as a very experienced die-hard Windows support tech) that I would end up doing the support and teaching in an operating system I am ignorant of. The iPad evangelist friend assured both of us that iPad is so foolproof, easy, and totally self learnable that I would not have to do any support --- that would not need any help and especially that it would not commit to any support role if I did not want to. I was skeptical. He was wrong. I was right.
:rolleyes:
That is why I am now here to learn more iPad and solve some mysteries.

I can indeed see after dabbling with the iPad that it has some great characteristics and with its portability, great graphics, touch screen, wide selection of apps, etc, why many people love it and it can be both fun and very useful.
:)

But it definataly has its own learning curve and weirdnesses (especially coming from Windows: Where is the @ key -- Oh there it is hidden, Hey I cant even plug a USB drive with my documents into it -- WTF?, How do I highlight a section of text with my fingers?, Hey there is no key that will delete characters to the RIGHT of the cursor, OMG it will not print to any printers except a limited set of iPad compatible ones unless we jump through extra hoops with some third party app that we wont even know if it really works until after we buy it, What, there is no way to directly create a new folder such as one I want to specifically call My-collected-aviation-aides on the desktop?, What, I cant plug in a USB keyboard?, etc, etc.) and does weird things now and then (appeared to have downloaded about 50 copies of one MP3 when she only purchased one, etc, etc.)
And most annoying --- Can not drag and drop or move files (photos, docs, whatever) between it and our several Windows computers without installing iTunes on them and having to learn to use iTunes as a middleman.

Bottom line is at the moment she is using the iPad as little more than an expensive overweight MP3 player .:rolleyes:

So I am here to learn more and will be asking questions often from a perhaps annoyingly Windows-centric point of view. Apologies in advance for that and beseach your patience with me.

Are there any experience Windows expatriates here who can relate to where I am coming from?;)

My first other post will be about syncing a calender.

Thanks,
Alex

P.S., I happen to be posting this one from an ancient laptop with a defective apostrophy and quotation mark key -- thus cant is missing that character.

tvg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wait 'till you find out it does not play flash..... (windows guy here too, who has seen "the light"w.r.t. ipad/phone: use it for what it's good and ignore the rest)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for the intro, very entertaining. I also was a windows gal and yes it is a big learning curve at the beginning, but you've certainly come to the right place to learn and even enjoy the experience along the way.
Below you'll find a lot of information to get you started. Enjoy!!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been a windows and Mac user for many years and for me the iPad is different from both. You can't use your old assumptions. However, once you read a bit in the iPad manual, or the Tips and Tricks app, or IPF's tips and tricks thread, you'll find easy and almost intuitive. The iPad does need a few more work-arounds for some business style activities. I love my iPad for photos, e-mail, Facebook, reading, (I use Zite, Currents, and other sites to check daily news) and other entertainment.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used only Windows for decades, with one exception: I recently tried and returned a Mac Book Pro, because I prefer Windows. I've found iOS a cinch, though, even though I'm lazy about learning new tech. My husband, a hardcore Windows guy, has never has to help me with any of my iDevices.

Basically, don't expect iOS to function like Windows, or you'll probably become very frustrated. And it'd be much better if your wife learned on her own, including asking questions on the forum, and of her iPad friend(s), because she'll end up picking up stuff quicker, and it'll probably be less annoying for you. No point being an enabler, unless you choose to.

Most reactions