What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie thinking to buy iPad2

zuriel7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Forum Members & Apple Users!
I am a PC laptop, Verizon Blackberry Bold user; never before touched an Apple product. I am thinking of jumping into the Apple World by buying an iPad2 (not just for me, but also for a needy friend in Detroit, MI . . . I am in Arizona). So, perhaps some here wish to share why (or why not) to take the plunge.

I have moderate understanding of PCs. My Detroit friend has no computer experience & I wish to purchase a system she can do 3 things with: 1) email me on independent of a laptop or pc; 2) surf the website to join breast cancer forums like Y-Me, or bclistserve forums to help her through a difficult treatment period for breast cancer; 3) have fun and games with.

Detroit friend having no experience with computers, can I send her the iPad2 & a Verizon G3 Hotspot device for her to access the internet and read any site, download iPad2 applications, & converse via email with others.

For a 1st time computer user, would the iPad2 be better than sending her a laptop (which seems more cumbersome to learn) when I am not close by to sit and teach her how to use?

Opinions?
Look forward to reading the forums to learn more about the iPad2 & perhaps purchase soon.
zuriel7

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're a good friend, my sympathies to your friend in Mi. iPad was my first "computer device" and I used it exclusively (without a laptop) for months. It works great for email and surfing, and even gaming etc. The only "down fall" I can see is if some of the sites that your friend needs to visit require Adobe Flash (not easily doable on iPad, it's not "natively" supported). Do some research in this area so as not to be disappointed. Otherwise I think it's a great solution.

OP
Z

zuriel7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Jeeper

Didn't realize you can't view sites requiring Flash! Suppose that can make a difference. Will have to search that out! Thanks so much. :p Still leaning toward the purchase! Can Mac computers view Flash sites?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes they can! It's just Apples position, that they don't enable flash on their mobile devices (iPhone included).
There are some third party browsers that can display flash, but they're often "clunky" and require a subscription.
A macbook is also a great choice, and WAY easier (in my opinion) to learn how to use and maintain than a PC.

Though, there's no denying that an iPad is a lot cooler, and funner, to use :)
I rarely find that I need flash, if you check her desired sites, and they're ok, then COOLIO! :)

Last edited:
OP
Z

zuriel7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes they can! It's just Apples position, that they don't enable flash on their mobile devices (iPhone included).
There are some third party browsers that can display flash, but they're often "clunky" and require a subscription.
A macbook is also a great choice, and WAY easier (in my opinion) to learn how to use and maintain than a PC.

Though, there's no denying that an iPad is a lot cooler, and funner, to use :)
I rarely find that I need flash, if you check her desired sites, and they're ok, then COOLIO! :)
Thanks once again Jeeper! Appreciate your opinion and time:D

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! Any other questions, just ask away! This is a great forum with great members!

Most reactions

Latest posts