What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TomTom iPhone App Now Optimized for iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

TomTom has announced that its popular iPhone app has now been fully updated and optimized for iPad. This latest version of the app features a higher resolution for a sharper display, and an enhanced user interface to fit the iPad’s larger screen. The full-screen display now shows both driving view and advanced lane guidance at the same time, with drivers being able to switch to driving view with one touch from anywhere within the app, and access guidance options with just one tap.

“This new release – now officially called 'TomTom App for iPhone/iPad' – is a logical next step for usâ€, says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director Consumer at TomTom. “Our customers asked us for enhanced iPad features, and now they have them. We have enhanced everything the iPad user sees and interacts with on the touch-screen.â€

The app also features a new map release complete with updated roads and points of interest, and HD Traffic is now available to download as an in-app purchase. Here are some of the app’s most important features courtesy of TomTom:
  • Access to TomTom HD Traffic – the quickest way through the traffic
  • The latest, most accurate TomTom maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan
  • Correct your map and get others’ changes every day via Map Share
  • Arrival times you can rely on – at all times of day – with IQ Routes[SUP]TM[/SUP]
  • Seamless navigation while calling, thanks to iOS 5 multitasking support
  • Seamless integration with your iPhone contacts, photos, music, email and calendar
  • Homer Simpson, Darth Vader, Yoda, and C3PO navigation voices available as an in-app purchase.
Click here to download TomTom App for iPhone/iPad for $49.99 (the iPad version is free to download for owners of the iPhone version): App Store - TomTom U.S.A.

Source: TomTom

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Munky said:
Hey all, did an update on this. I finally got my Otterbox Defender case and have modified the mount. Basically I totally done away with the acrylic base and L-brackets and am now just using the snap on cover/stand of the defender screwed directly into the dash mount. Snaps in and out easily, yet no ammount of jarring or rough roads/rr tracks will make it come loose.

Here's a post from a thread I started about a custom mount I made. This is how you do it!

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pics didn't copy over.

Attachments

• image-1004822896.png
    image-1004822896.png
    808.6 KB · Views: 702

skanter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume one cannot use the IPad 2 version of TomTom without 3G? GPS doesn't work in WIFI only model?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I assume one cannot use the IPad 2 version of TomTom without 3G? GPS doesn't work in WIFI only model?
The Dual XGPS150 will get you around that limitation, there are others. I wonder how TomTom compares to Navigon which works beautifully on the iPad.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I frequently use my iPad with Navigon or TomTom as a GPS in my car.

I purchased a RamMount windshield kit from MountGuys. It came with a single suction cup so I purchased a dual suction cup part directly from RamMount. The kit has an arm that allows the iPad holder to be lower than the windshield so it's very visible but out of the way.

Not a cheap solution, especially having replaced the single with the dual suction cups, but very solid. I also purchased a dual USB cigar lighter adapter that has 2 2.1 USB outlets to keep both my iPad running TomTom and my iPhone charging the whole time. Without that TomTom would drain the iPad's battery in no time.

Most reactions

Latest posts