To 3(G) or not to 3(G)....

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by blowabs, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    If tech appreciated, I would be a rich man today. As is, I am hoping my Mac LC or VIC 20 will reach antique or collector item status where I can cash in.

2. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have the 3G with the unlimited plan. I haven't needed to use it yet but need to know that I have the ability to do so.

3. TJK

TJK
    Expand Collapse

Same here; two iPads, two laptops, two iPhones. I got the Sprint Overdrive for the same reasons. On car trips I just put the Overdrive in the console and the car is a rolling WiFi hotspot. And 4G access rocks!

I just saw that Vigin Broadband is making the MiFi 3G available on a pay-as-you-go no contract plan. Buy the device for $149 and they have plans as little as $10 for access if all you need is a couple days worth here and there.

4. Weaser999

Weaser999
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I didn't bother with 3G... I just tether the iPad off my palm pre for free using a hacked version mobile hotspot.

5. blowabs

blowabs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    TJK
    Isnt it $60 month with Sprint isf you dont have an account with them?

Virgin Broadband mifi sounds good..hope it works well too??!!!

#55 blowabs, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. rickm1350

rickm1350
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have a 64 gb WiFi iPad. I opted not to get the 3G version, as I am becoming more and more disenchanted with my AT&T cell service.

I bought the Sprint Overdrive 4G box, and use it with my iPad. If you're in an area that has 4G, this is a very nice option.... it's way faster than 3G.

Yes, I know it costs more for the Sprint Overdrive, but so far, it's well worth it.

Just to give you an idea how well it works, my son, grandson, and I drove from Merced to Fresno, CA on Memorial Day weekend. My son used the Overdrive all the way down to Fresno with his laptop. On the way back, my son was on his laptop, and my grandson was using my Netbook streaming a cartoon video from Cartoon Network all the way home.