What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't play games , should I buy an iPad 4???

alexss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys , I have 2 questions and would appreciate if you help me.

1) I have a iPad 3 , but I dont use it for gaming , I just use it for browsing and watching videos and for writting with Stylus. Since the iPad 4 is 2x faster , but I dont play games , is it worth for me to buy it??

2) Wil iPad 3 still support future iOs's updates???

Thank you guys :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have no way of knowing how many more OS updates will support the iPad 3. Only time will tell. But you got one update so feel lucky for that.

If I were going to get an full-sized iPad, I get the 4. The speed is not just for games, but for viewing anything on the screen, like scanned PDFs. I use those a lot and I zoom in and out a lot. It can be a bit laggy on the 3.

You won't see any advantage in watching movies. You may enjoy the facetime HD camera, though. If you are in the UK there will be real support for LTE bands there.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You should feel confident in your iPad 3 receiving updates for at least 2 more years. That was true with the iPad 1, and when the iPad 1 was not to receive the latest iOS 6 update, that is when I sold my iPad 1 and upgraded to the iPad 3. I see no reason to immediatly jump to the iPad 4. None.

OP
A

alexss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tought since they are not selling it anymore it wouldnt recieve future updates. BTW , I've just bought my iPad 3 last month and now there is a new one and they wont sell iPad 3 anymore , like it has never existed , and it was released 7 months ago. This is sad :/

OP
A

alexss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should feel confident in your iPad 3 receiving updates for at least 2 more years. That was true with the iPad 1, and when the iPad 1 was not to receive the latest iOS 6 update, that is when I sold my iPad 1 and upgraded to the iPad 3. I see no reason to immediatly jump to the iPad 4. None.

But what about the speed?? Doesnt it encourage you to buy one?? If not , why not??( Im asking it because I want you to convince me not to buy one and feel less injured by Apple)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
alexss said:
But what about the speed?? Doesnt it encourage you to buy one?? If not , why not??( Im asking it because I want you to convince me not to buy one and feel less injured by Apple)

Speed and its importance is rather subjective. We all use our iPads for different things so everyone's mileage will vary so to speak. I play games and do lots of other stuff and I've never felt that performance was an issue. Must just be the games I play and apps I use since others appear to desire faster and faster tablets. I can't answer for anyone other than me. Im not in any hurry to get a new iPad, especially for speed reasons!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My 3 isn't any slower than it was yesterday, and neither is yours. If I felt a faster iPad would make my make life better, I'd buy one, but the one I already have is fine.

As for the 3 going away, note that the 2 is still available. It has its own niche, and is still supported. Don't worry about support for the 3 quite yet.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my 3 the day they went on sale, back in March. I loved it then, and I love it today. A tiny part of me went, "wait, there's a new one? I want it!" but the more reasonable voice said, "Chill. It's all good." And you know what? It is.

In technology there is always going to be something better coming along. Get what you can afford, and be happy until you can get the next thing. :)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bought my 3 the day they came out. I don't play games at all but use it heavily for other purposes. I'm happy enough with it--upgrading my 1 which I had from the month it came out. I won't upgrade until the 3 doesn't perform for my purposes as I did from 1 to 3.

carbrad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did you sell your Ipad 1? Got mine the day it came out and there is not a scratch on it but use it everyday. just doesnt leave the house or its Apple case much. Just getting so darn laggy and crashes alot and so many apps are graphic heavy. Might be time to sell but how much can i get?? WiFi 32GB

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on whether the new one has something you have been waiting for. I bought the 3 because photos of my family are really important to me. I wanted a better camera and that and the retina screen were just what I wanted. I won't upgrade unless there is something else that I need or they don't support it or I need to hand it down to a kid or grandkid.

Bobbi

kulit_12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a budget to buy again, then buy it.. But for me, my ipad 3 is still much usefull!

mmaguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worried about upgrading. I would suggest, use it until it no longer works for you. We all new in 6 more months there will be a new ipad AGAIN.

IFood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi alexss, if you are using a stylus, look at the Samsung Slate or HP Slate, yes It's a PC, but the same size as an IPAD and a proper stylus with 1,024 levels of sensetivty, and because the screen is an inductive and capacitive touch screen when the pen is not present, it is 8 point touch, bring the pen into range (no batteries but is intellignent with buttons on board) and it will turn of the capacitive and ignore your hand. It also will sense when the pen is hovering above or making contact so you can see the point of contact that the pen will land on before it lands. Finally, you can have two applicaitons on screen at once, so you can be skyping on the left hand side, looking at loved one or colleague (or both) and writing an email (with hand writing recognition) on the right.

Most reactions

Latest posts