To 3(G) or not to 3(G)....

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by blowabs, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Universal

Universal
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I use my Droid to tether, and it works great, so no need for 3G on my end.

2. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    If I did not 'have' to buy 2 iPads (wife getting one too) I would have bought a 32gb 3G version, strictly for resale value over just the WiFi version.

3. blowabs

blowabs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Y
    That is thing that keeps making me wanna get the 3G....on CL the 16g 3G's are going for not less than $600.......which i cant understand why... (unless it is international or somethin').

4. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about the threadjack. :eek:

Seriously, if you can find a way to tether (believe the Jailbreak is already out for the iPhone), that's a great way to save the money. It's not as much that I want to avoid paying for something I'm getting, it's that I'm already paying for data on the phone and shouldn't matter what screen I'm watching it on. I guess principle of the matter is the best way of putting it.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Well it really isn't off topic. Your question is whether to get the 3G or not...the points about the network coverage and free WiFi hotspot through a phone is a very valid point against getting one.

6. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It's all about the marketing. Mobile Hotspot devices are coming from more and more cell companies at comparable rates. The good thing about doing this over 3G is that you can use whatever service has the best reception in your area rather than having to settle. Beyond that, you would have the hotspot to use with your laptop computer if it was absolutely necessary. Yes, it's one more small item to carry, but I would say that's well worth the tradeoff.

Market that option on resale and state things directly like that and you'll be able to max out your value. ;)

7. blowabs

blowabs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    JK
    Use my ipad as a hot spot for my laptop--hmmmm- never thought about that one.thx!

8. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I put my cable modem and router on a separate UPS battery backup. It might not save you from a direct lightning strike, but if the power goes out I still have wifi for probably 10-12 hours.

9. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You should check out eBay completed listings. They are selling 200-300 over Apple's price. I guess people are wiling to spend more so not to have to wait 2-3 weeks to get one.

for example:

Apple iPad 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G - eBay (item 200482542879 end time Jun-16-10 20:00:08 PDT)

10. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I like that idea. I need to do some shifting around on my UPS. Very cool!