What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about buy an iPad give me some advice!

ChrisMcG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im 18 years old and a freshman in college, I have the money for a 16gb wifi only iPad, I really do want one but don't know if it's worth the money. I'd primarily use it take notes in class and to just play around with.

Could I convert my avi. movies to watch on it just as I do with my iPod?

Only one more question, I promise!

-Do a lot of you use the iPad as something for fun and entertainment or is it more of a work tool?

Thanks a lot!

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
First question is do you have another computer. If you have money for and Ipad, but don't have another computer, buy the computer first. I think it is ok for note taking, but depending on how you work, notebook/netbook might be better.

In general, if you can do it on an ipod you can do it on an ipad.

I would say it is more and fun/entertainment device than a work tool.

OP
C

ChrisMcG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First question is do you have another computer. If you have money for and Ipad, but don't have another computer, buy the computer first. I think it is ok for note taking, but depending on how you work, notebook/netbook might be better.

In general, if you can do it on an ipod you can do it on an ipad.

I would say it is more and fun/entertainment device than a work tool.

Yeah I have a sony laptop, the battery life on it just blows, so I think the iPad would be better.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! I appreciate it!

Talis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could I convert my avi. movies to watch on it just as I do with my iPod?

You can but there are also at least a couple of apps around now (Oplayer & CineXplayer) that'll play the greater majority of .avi files without having to convert anything.

OP
C

ChrisMcG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought one! I'm actually writing this with it! I absolutely love it! I think this has got to be of the coolest things I've ever owned. Very excited to start using it at school! Thanks for all the advice!

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chris, congrats on your new purchase. I would suggest DropBox, and Evernote. These are both great apps. You should be ok with 16 gb, I went with 32 and have 20 g left on my Ipad almost all the time. Welcome to the Forum

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definitely second the free apps Evernote and Dropbox, and would also suggest you check out the long forum discussion on note taking apps as well as istudiez.
GL with your studies.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase. I think I may wind up buying one in lieu of a laptop, and get a mac mini as my primary home computer. For my needs, I only need my portable device to be an entertainment/media player. My next dilemma is deciding whether I want the current Ipad with its 9.7" screen, or wait for the next generation pad with more features but reduced 7" screen size.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought one! I'm actually writing this with it! I absolutely love it! I think this has got to be of the coolest things I've ever owned. Very excited to start using it at school! Thanks for all the advice!

I had a feeling you'd end up with one! The more you get to use it the more you'll find you can do with it! Good luck with your school, make it work for you!

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrats on your iPad
Now get some apps for it.

Goodreader is a great file program
Text + is great for use instead of your cell phone for messaging
CineXplayer is good for movies
AirVideo for watching movies remotely, I am not sure how good this wold be for a college campus

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck with your new iPad and good luck in school. And remember what my daddy told me before I went to college, "Never let school get in the way of your education!" Smart man!

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
GoodReader is one of the best out there, especially for PDFs.
Adobe Ideas is a great, and free, drawing program that has many uses.
I just got Springpad as well, and it is a nice multi-platform drop box-like app. It is also free.
There are so many apps out there, I know some will come in to what you need, however, there are some great suggestions above as well.

As for taking notes, depends on your typing skills.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My next dilemma is deciding whether I want the current Ipad with its 9.7" screen, or wait for the next generation pad with more features but reduced 7" screen size.

Yea I wanted to see the Android tablets too, but all of the current ones are horrible and I really have no need for a 7" device since I have an HTC EVO 4G which works well where the iPad would be too much to carry. Although the Samsung Tab sounds cool.

If you do decide to go with a 7", come back here and let us know what you think of the Android system for that.

OP
C

ChrisMcG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chris, congrats on your new purchase. I would suggest DropBox, and Evernote. These are both great apps. You should be ok with 16 gb, I went with 32 and have 20 g left on my Ipad almost all the time. Welcome to the Forum

Thanks! I love it! I downloaded Evernote and I really like it...I'm still looking around but that seems like the winner as of now. Yeah im not too worried about the 16gb, I have an ipod so I wasn't planning on putting too much music on the iPad. Thanks again!

OP
C

ChrisMcG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck with your new iPad and good luck in school. And remember what my daddy told me before I went to college, "Never let school get in the way of your education!" Smart man!

Hahaha so true! I appreciate it.

Most reactions

Latest posts