What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

VictoriaCourt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do agree. This thread is really helpful. There are some tips I never know of. Thanks everyone for sharing the information. Thumbs up!

henry98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a few that I have found to be quite useful being an iPad Noob myself...... :D

Speed up your typing: Double-tapping the spacebar while typing a message will type a period and then a space.

Make your passcode more secure: iOS defaults to a four-number passcode, but you can turn it off by going to Settings, General, Passcode Lock, Simple Passcode. Now you can use any full keyboard password to lock the iPad. The password also helps to encrypt your mail and attachments on the iPad, so you probably want to make it safer than a four-digit number.

Set the iPad to Erase Data: You can set the iPad to erase all data after ten failed passcode entry attempts by checking the Erase Data option under Settings, General, Passcode Lock.

Show traffic conditions: Open Maps, press the dog-eared page icon in the lower right, and then turn the Traffic overlay on. If your iPad has an Internet connection, Maps will show real-time traffic conditions in the displayed area. Green means traffic is going at the posted speed limit, yellow means traffic is slower than the posted speed limit, and red means traffic is stop-and-go.

Take a screenshot: Press Home and the sleep/wake button simultaneously. The screenshot will automatically appear among your photos.

Thanks for these useful tips. It seems so easy to operate ipad now than earlier. Keep posting...

gr8panda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought my new iPad last week (1st iPad ever) n found this amazing forum from appsstore.... Nice to be part of the family....keep posting guys....i'll keep reading to explore my iPad...u guys are awesome....

codeX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a few that I have found to be quite useful being an iPad Noob myself...... :D

Speed up your typing: Double-tapping the spacebar while typing a message will type a period and then a space.

Make your passcode more secure: iOS defaults to a four-number passcode, but you can turn it off by going to Settings, General, Passcode Lock, Simple Passcode. Now you can use any full keyboard password to lock the iPad. The password also helps to encrypt your mail and attachments on the iPad, so you probably want to make it safer than a four-digit number.

Set the iPad to Erase Data: You can set the iPad to erase all data after ten failed passcode entry attempts by checking the Erase Data option under Settings, General, Passcode Lock.

Show traffic conditions: Open Maps, press the dog-eared page icon in the lower right, and then turn the Traffic overlay on. If your iPad has an Internet connection, Maps will show real-time traffic conditions in the displayed area. Green means traffic is going at the posted speed limit, yellow means traffic is slower than the posted speed limit, and red means traffic is stop-and-go.

Take a screenshot: Press Home and the sleep/wake button simultaneously. The screenshot will automatically appear among your photos.

Now this is a great list youve got here..
I never thought iPads can do screenshots.. haha..
I also love the double tapping feature.. ;)

VictoriaCourt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really love this thread. Ive read it again to get some useful tips I can use. Thanks for all the contributions!

VictoriaCourt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are great tips especially about the traffic conditions. Ive noted this down to make sure I wont forget. Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Copying from iBook. Is it possible?

You can select and copy text from the epubs, by the normal (tap and hold, for popup menu) method.

The new iBooks Author (text book) format does not allow copy; though there are some interesting annotation and note taking tools.

PDF's are read only

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
marcus_d said:
Copying from iBook. Is it possible?

It depends what you mean. You can copy text by pressing and holding a word then extend the selection and choose copy from the pop-up menu. If you mean copy a book or PDF file then synchronise to your PC or Mac, find the item to opt and use the impute op sys to copy.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

marcus_d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to copy from a book. Pressing the word doesn't give me a copy command. I don't understand the other suggestion

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to copy from a book. Pressing the word doesn't give me a copy command. I don't understand the other suggestion

Sorry, I was mistaken. I used the iPad User Guide for my test. Apparently it has no DRM (Digital Rights Management). When I tried a protected book the copy option was not given.

So, only unprotected ePub books can be copied from. That would exclude pretty much all the paid for books, and probably some of free ones.

Again, sorry for the mistake. :eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts