What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth it for me to buy an iPad?

Doowstados

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about buying a used 1st gen iPad 16GB WiFi.

I've owned other Apple devices, including a iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and a Macbook 2.26 GHz White Unibody.

I really love Apple products and the iPad seems like a great idea, but I don't want to purchase one if I won't use it. It seems like it would be easy to carry with me to school, possibly replacing my laptop for portable use.

Does anybody else with these devices find themselves reaching for their iPad regularly when they leave in the morning? I tend to read a lot of news articles and political editorials while in between classes at school. I also read the occasional eBook on my iPhone 4, but the small screen gets annoying sometimes. This is probably the biggest reason I'm considering one.

Obviously a forum dedicated to the iPad will be a bit biased here, but do you think that for my usage it's worth shelling out $300 for a used one?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doowstados said:

I've owned other Apple devices, including a iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and a Macbook 2.26 GHz White Unibody.

I really love Apple products and the iPad seems like a great idea, but I don't want to purchase one if I won't use it. It seems like it would be easy to carry with me to school, possibly replacing my laptop for portable use.

Does anybody else with these devices find themselves reaching for their iPad regularly when they leave in the morning? I tend to read a lot of news articles and political editorials while in between classes at school. I also read the occasional eBook on my iPhone 4, but the small screen gets annoying sometimes. This is probably the biggest reason I'm considering one.

Obviously a forum dedicated to the iPad will be a bit biased here, but do you think that for my usage it's worth shelling out $300 for a used one?

i never leave the house without my iPad. Never relied on a device so much.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're probably an ideal candidate for an iPad.

() Since you're already familiar with Apple products the interface and (to many of us) its peculiarities will be familiar to you and unlikely to be a disappointment.
() The notion that it can can replace your laptop is probably incorrect, but your characterization as "portable use" suggests you're not trying to use the iPad as a computer replacement.
() The iPad is well suited for note taking, especially if you add a bluetooth keyboard.
() It's an excellent media consumption device, especially for news.
() You'll find the iPad is a far more satisfactory e-Reader than your phone.

I'm long out of school but my iPad serves very well for media consumption and light (very light) computing tasks. It couldn't come close to replacing my laptop, much less my desktop, but it makes a very nice complement to both.

OP
D

Doowstados

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're probably an ideal candidate for an iPad.

() Since you're already familiar with Apple products the interface and (to many of us) its peculiarities will be familiar to you and unlikely to be a disappointment.
() The notion that it can can replace your laptop is probably incorrect, but your characterization as "portable use" suggests you're not trying to use the iPad as a computer replacement.
() The iPad is well suited for note taking, especially if you add a bluetooth keyboard.
() It's an excellent media consumption device, especially for news.
() You'll find the iPad is a far more satisfactory e-Reader than your phone.

I'm long out of school but my iPad serves very well for media consumption and light (very light) computing tasks. It couldn't come close to replacing my laptop, much less my desktop, but it makes a very nice complement to both.

You're right, I don't see it as a replacement for my laptop, just a possible substitute for reading news and maybe watching some youtube videos between classes. Occasional fact checking during classes.

My biggest concern with buying the first gen iPad is how long it will continue to support new iOS updates. Obviously the A4 processor is by no means slow, but I'd like it to last me at least two years or so without needing to worry about upgrading to receive the latest updates. Sound reasonable, or am I stretching? It has been out for a couple years now, after all.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're right, I don't see it as a replacement for my laptop, just a possible substitute for reading news and maybe watching some youtube videos between classes. Occasional fact checking during classes.

It would be perfect for this type of activity, assuming you have wifi at campus or wherever you want to engage in such activity.

My biggest concern with buying the first gen iPad is how long it will continue to support new iOS updates. Obviously the A4 processor is by no means slow, but I'd like it to last me at least two years or so without needing to worry about upgrading to receive the latest updates.

Barring hardware failure, this device will continue to do the things you describe you want without further update. Updates are valuable only if your needs change (or you get the iwants) and the update addresses those new needs. Otherwise, use and enjoy.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think about a refurbished iPad - they are refurbished by Apple, have had a new battery fitted, are cosmetically perfect and come with a full Apple warranty. If you purchase a pre-owned iPad from an unknown source you can not be sure of the condition of the machine and we've had several reports of unscrupulous merchants marketing stolen iPads on eBay and Craigslist.

Tim

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
I use my iPad so much I may have it grafted to my thigh (perfect position for laptop use).
As for buying old and used, for $200 more you can get a 16GB iPad 2 shiny and new.
I don't advocate spending what you don't have but if it's in your budget, that would be my choice.
Decide what's right for you.
And WELCOME to the forum.
You probably know I don't like networked computers on my ship but I do approve of iPads. ;)

AA

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My biggest concern with buying the first gen iPad is how long it will continue to support new iOS updates. Obviously the A4 processor is by no means slow, but I'd like it to last me at least two years or so without needing to worry about upgrading to receive the latest updates. Sound reasonable, or am I stretching? It has been out for a couple years now, after all.

IMO it's always a good idea to purchase the latest technology if one can afford it. But that's mainly because I'm in a business where knowing what the current market in technology is like is important. As Tim notes above, you can always save some money with a refurbished iPad 2 if it concerns you, but I'd suggest you think about your needs rather than "receiving the latest updates." I have two automobiles, both six year old models, neither of which is currently manufactured. Each gets me where I need to go and meets virtually all of my associated requirements. When I need parts I have no problem getting them. I cannot take advantage of the most recent automotive technology but other than being the object of scorn of my neighbors I manage to get along just fine. :)

Applying that same logic to your situation, I don't think you have to worry about Apple "abandoning" the first generation iPad. You won't be able to retrofit the latest chip or a new screen, but if the performance meets your needs and the screen provides a satisfactory experience, do you really care that it may not play the latest game two years from now? It will still enable you to surf the net and read periodicals. In short, you'll still be able to do everything you do now.

If you apply a much longer time frame to the issue, there may well come a time when the original iPad no longer meets your needs. But do you really expect to buy a tablet with a 10 year lifespan? Your needs are likely to change more quickly (especially at your age) than technology. And five years from now, the difference between the obsolescence of an iPad 1 and an iPad 2 will be miniscule.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for an iPad. They dont fully replace regular PC/mac systems but its closer than people may realize. They are extremely portable and have crazy awesome battery life - which is paramount to being portable.

As for new or refurb, there is NO good reason to avoid a refurbed unit. Apple backs them up like a new one so whats the difference? Go for it.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As for new or refurb, there is NO good reason to avoid a refurbed unit. Apple backs them up like a new one so whats the difference? Go for it.

Technically, flash memory has limited number of read/write cycles. Refurb units have used memory. Whether this is a practical concern, i am less certain. Perhaps this would bother some folks.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree Ipad 1 wil be with us for another 4 years with no issues. Lots of Apple G4 are around and function well.
Ipad has replaced my Lap tops and it is always with me.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I definitely take my iPad to campus. My laptop is old and a brick with zero battery life off of the charge, aka not portable. I also read a lot of news and also do Twitter and FB, which is much nicer on a bigger screen than my phone (which sadly isn't an iPhone yet). I used to have a nook, which I sold to get money for the iPad, and I must say while I miss the eInk I LOVE my iPad as an eReader!! There are lots of great features to iBooks and there are also Kindle, nook, and other eReader apps you can use and purchase from.

I think you would find yourself using it a lot more than you realize (I know I did). But $300 is a lot of money, so it's entirely up to you!

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipad is awesome and does a lot of things and is very portable. They are well worth it. If I were you I would go for no less than the iPad 9th gen All though the iPad 9 is a little more than 300 in price new.

Most reactions

Latest posts