The iPad is selling like ice in the desert

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by 4phun, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Actually the Chitka Labs numbers aren't total nonsense. Remember when they announced OS 4.0? The numbers on that website said just over 600,000. What did Jobs say in the intro? Yup, 600,000 units sold.

2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Their methodology of estimating the number of iPads is much better than version 1.0. I would not bet the farm on it, but you can rest assurred that it is pretty close.

3. mac

mac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ummm, touch screens and accelerometers and the OS are not meant to counterbalance flaws in the design!!

That's not what I'm saying. It's not about design flaws. It's about physical limitations. Mobile phones are by definition small. You can't pack much in there right now (computing power, buttons, etc). So a touchscreen, accelerometer, simplified OS liberates the form factor. Allows it to do more.

They are meant to enhance the user experience.

Not just that. They make that small, pocketable device more useful.

When you make the device bigger (and so potentially more capable) why burden it with the same physical handicaps?

That's like saying a mouse is just a fad...

I'm not saying that anything is a fad. I'm saying that technology developed to make devices with physical limitations (size) more useful can make devices without those physical limitations even more useful.

...meant to enhance the user experience due to limitations in a keyboard.

That's exactly what a mouse does.

Touch screen is the new mouse and in 10 years will be the standard.

I agree. They make a great mouse/trackpad solution (did you ever see those pictures someone made of a theoretical MBP with an iPod touch screen with an image of what was on the mainscreen where the trackpad is today), but for at least 90% of the population they don't make very good keyboards. Yet.

And a keyboard makes a great scratch protector for a computer screen.

As for swiveltops they have been around for years and have never really done too well...

You can say the same about tablets. But new tech and hype have given them a bit of a boost.

The same tech, plus some new structural thinking can do the same for swiveling screens, and cater to the mass's desire for a keyboard/screen protector/something-to-prop-the-screen-up-with (and aversion to buying lots of extras)

the keyboard is no longer needed for casual use.

But it's the preferred text input device by most right now. And if it has those other functions. And you can have one, and still have a super-slim, super-light machine then why not.

Remember...iPad is a netbook replacement...not desktop.

What's the difference between a netbook and a desktop these days? To your average Windoze user, very little. And in a year or two?

To us Mac users (7.5% of the laptop market by volume) the iPad is a big deal. Our laptops cost on average $1400 and are all slick and shiny. But to a Windoze user their laptops cost on average $569 (that figure doesn't include netbooks).

Cheap, powerful, 10 hour battery life, super skinny Windoze convertibles are already starting to appear. And they're going to get skinnier.

I just have a feeling the masses are going to want the deluxe tablet with the multi-purpose screen protector already attached (and included in the price).

#13 mac, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. mac

mac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    They are I'm afraid. They reset the number significantly downwards whenever Apple announces a figure (they were reading 620,000 iPads sold when Apple announced 450,000 sold - and have revised their number downwards at least 3 times to my knowledge)

I'm sure that whenever Apple hits the million they'll send out a press release.

5. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Apple will not send out a press release when they hit a million because they will not know for certain for several days. The main thing is that the estimates are much better now than they had been.

6. mac

mac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For a product that has such tightly controlled distribution, and relies so much on marketing, I'd be very surprised if Apple didn't know how many iPads had been sold on a minute by minute basis.

7. maueze

maueze
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    yes Ipad is what the people really wants to have, its sales thousand upon thousand of it.. and its getting bigger...

8. icrazy

icrazy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    THIS is a great summation. Well done. I cant back this anymore other than to say, "Spot on."

9. maueze

maueze
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    yes you are right they sells like an ice in the desert, people cant help but to buy it. but one problem is when w have to download
    , do we need to pay. I came over to this site which is too good to be true, they provide you a service were you can download anything you like... with only one time payment....

i will give you the link " mypadmedia "you can visit

10. mac

mac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I see the spammers have arrived. I wish they'd learn how to write better copy.

I clicked on one the other day to see what it was and it was some kind of scriptures for the iPad site. I guess it's a sad indictment on the world when God has to deceive you to get some traffic to his website.