What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert Island Disks (HD)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The BBC radio show "Desert Island Disks" asked invited guests to imagine themselves marooned on a desert island, with no hope of rescue. The guest was asked to name 8 pieces of music, a book and a luxury item to pass the time, as well as their reason for their choices.

I thought it might be fun to update the concept, so here goes. On your desert island you will have an iPad. On it, you may have 8 pieces of music of up to CD/DVD size (The original was 8 7 inch singles, but as the medium is about dead I thought we'd use some more of the storage capacity of the iPad), 3 books (the collected works of the author of your choice, plus two others), a movie of any length and genre, a Newsstand magazine subscription, a podcast subscription and one app. You may also have a FaceTime account with one name on it, of any real person, living or dead.

Give your reasons if you feel inclined to do so.

Here are my desert island selections:

Music:

Carmina Burana - Orff - Seiji Osawa conducting the Berlin Philharmonic
Sarah Brightman - Symphony
Rush - Hemispheres
Deep Purple - In Rock
Yes - Going For The One
Libera - Angel Voices In Concert
Simon and Garfunkel - Concert in Central Park
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Movie:
Bladerunner

Books:
2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C Clarke
The god delusion - Richard Dawkins
Collected works of Stephen Hawking

Podcast: Deep Astronomy

Newsstand:
Scientific American

FaceTime:
Richard Dawkins

App:
GarageBand (with all the time I would have, even I might learn some creativity

Last edited:
OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chays said:
If I say the iPad forum app, do I get extra brownie points??? :p

Probably. You'd have to ask the mods. Of course, in the spirit of the radio show, your Internet connection might be limited to downloads in case you tried to call for a rescue. Roy Plumley was quite strict about this.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dam, that to bad....

Here are my desert island selections:

Music:

Pop melody - Sam tsui
Born this way - lady Gaga
Super bass - niki mernaje
What you do to me - crazy white boys
Rain over me - pit bull
Queen of the night - the opera thingy
Cloudburst - Eric whitica
Pumped up kicks - foster the people

Movie:
Lion king

Books:
Spud
The bible, NIV
Million thing to do when you stuck on an island :p

Podcast: Darren Whackhead Simpson

Newsstand:
Men's health

FaceTime:
Sam tsui, so he could sing me to sleep at night (YouTube him)

App:
YouTube if I can't have ipf

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just remembered this. I'll bump it once and see if there's any more interest in it than there was when I first posted it. If not it can sink to the bottom of the heap again.

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Just remembered this. I'll bump it once and see if there's any more interest in it than there was when I first posted it. If not it can sink to the bottom of the heap again.

I was searching in the bowels for any possible thread on crafts. Nix so far but on the way down, found this!

Love this programme which goes on & on. At the moment the interviewer is Kirsty Young, who happens to have moved to our village with her family.

We have welcomed her--she's community minded, including supporting keeping libraries open. Our library, housed in the tiny, very oldest building in this ancient place, happens to be the one chosen by Downton for their "hospital". We now get coach trips on "Downton Tours"... Surreal:))

I will check on the iPad variations & my lists which I have kept updated for YEARS in case anyone ever invited me:):):)

Most reactions

Latest posts