The iPad is just too heavy! :(

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Fardog, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I think it's a fair comparison if you're talking about ebook readers.

I, for instance, wouldn't get enough use out of a kindle as I don't read enough novels and plenty of the books I do read aren't that mainstream. I do think the kindle is a valid choice for people though - much the same as a Shuffle is an option when discussing an iPod touch.

2. psmoore

psmoore
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it's too heavy to hold with one hand while reading a book. I do switch hands periodically, but in my opinion (not that mine matters much) not too heavy!

3. Gabriel1964

Gabriel1964
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I own both my iPad and a Sony 505 book reader. As book readers go the iPad is heavy, but for me I got it to do all the stuff my book reader doesn't. A far trade off the weight to functionality for me, plus I read on my book reader. :)

4. Fardog

Fardog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My wife and I just got back last weekend from Dragon Con in Atlanta. Talked to 5 people who had iPads.

Including Lou Ferrigno aka THE HULK from the old TV show.

I talked with him and he likes his a lot--recommended the 64 GB. He certainly had no problem with the weight since he looks just like he did when he played the THE HULK.

#34 Fardog, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  5. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm reading "A world Without End" in paper, it weighs the same as the iPad. I'm not tall and the weight does not bother me.

6. Checkpoint

Checkpoint
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I've read multiple books that are hardcover that have weighed the same if not more than the iPad itself.

7. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    When I first got my iPad and picked it up I thought - wow it's heavier than I thought it would be - whatever that means. Now I would much rather give up a finger than my iPad.

I was a Kindle user before the iPad - and I've got the Kindle right here. When you compare the two - the Kindle wins - when it comes to being an e-book reader. Thing is I wanted more than just an e-book reader. I wanted something that I could take out of town without having to tote a laptop around.

To each their own - but perspective is a big difference here.

8. Squirrel71

Squirrel71
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you are a voracious reader, like me, then I can see how you would notice the iPad is a little heavy. I have both a Kindle and an iPad . I did buy a couple of books for the iPad, but haven't read them yet. For all the reading I do, the Kindle is perfect. For all the web surfing I do, the movies I like to watch etc the iPad is phenomenal.

I'm glad there are all these competing devices, keep the companies on their toes and drives prices down. When I bought my first Kindle, I paid $399 for it..when I upgrade to the Kindle 3, I will pay under $200.

9. Game_Writer

Game_Writer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Naked and green? Wow. ;)

10. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Epic.

The Hulk approves of the iPad. Nothing else matters ;)