What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Daily - iPad's Very Own Newspaper!

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUWLkbjXb4[/ame]​

Today, News Corp. decided to release The Daily, a newspaper that has been in the works. What so special about this newspaper? Well it's for the iPad of course. This "ePaper" is built for the iPad and meant to be the new way of getting your news. You pay a mere $.99 a week or $40 a year, and you are updated with news every day in a fun format. Imagine reading your newspaper, being able to tap on it and have it read to you, or like you see in Harry Potter where the pictures move in the newspaper, this is basically like that. I like the idea and I can't wait to see what they do with it, check out The Daily in the iPad App Store for FREE with a 2 week trial!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pity it's not available outside th US. We are constantly being told we live in a global Market, but it's often not the case.

Tim
Scotland

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$4 a month? Hmm may do it.

I downloaded it. Havent played around with it yet..

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For newspapers I've taken to using Pulse.
Great way to browse all the major dailies.

Actually like my set up of apps. Pulse solely news, River of News for RSS feeds and Blogshelf for blogs.
Makes reading in bed a joy.

Ah the simple life.....

solarrdadd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WoW, I was surprised to see some of the comments aimed at the cost; it's .99 cents a week! That's less than a cup of coffee at MacDonalds! The monthly cost is less than most folks pay for a (one) cup of coffee at bigbucks! I think if we can't deal with .99 cents a week for something designed for the iPad we are in trouble.

I will be buying the iPad 2 and yes, I will be getting this app for it, for .99 cents a week --of course I guess I'll have to tell my daughter that she will have to take some time off of college for me to fund the app! :eek: :p ;)

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still don't know what the hype is about.
What's so new about that?
There are several similar projects out there alreay (I've also subscribed to a daily on the iPad).
I guess the difference is that 30% of the profits go to Apple, which isn't the case with the others.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take in my news all over the place, from my desktop, to my iPad, iPhone, or plain old TV. Every so often I even buy a Sunday paper. I have no need to buy a digital subscription. One of my local TV stations also has an iPad app, so I use that too, and then can go their regular website too as well. So for me, would not be worth the subscription price, but it still seems like a very interesting app anyway, and those that get it-enjoy!

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lots of people including me reporting that this app crashes repeatedly, interface is somewhat like the Sports Illustrated app demo we played with a year ago.

Weird part is it prompts you to turn your iPad on it's side to read some content. Really awkward to do this.

Would need to see the crashing fixed before I would spend the money

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good thing it has a trial period for now! They need to work some things out then! I also wouldn't want to be prompted to read on the side-I pick landscape or portrait at my discretion.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too Unwieldy

I really liked the Daily the first couple of days I used it. The 360 photo's gave you the feeling of almost being there, movie reviews playing the trailers in the picture window, and the startup video was a nice touch. The paper literally sucks you in and makes time fly. Therein lies the problem.

The Daily is great if you have a three hour layover. If you want to take a 15 minute break, not so much. It needs a Drudgereport or Pulse option to quickly scan all articles. My wife wanted me to read an article and handed me the ipad but I accidentally touched the screen and lost it. Neither of us could re-locate the article. It's too difficult to quickly find specific articles if you don't know what section you were in. If you start in one section and keep swiping you enter other sections without knowing it.

But they are definitely on to something. Up until now, reading e-news always left something to be desired compared to reading a real magazine or newspaper. You just can't relax sitting at a desk and you miss out on intimately holding your medium close and examining the photos. The ipad solved the relaxing part and now the Daily has solved the media part. In fact, it goes beyond solving it and improved it. Now only if they could solve the problem of it constantly crashing.

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rperez414 said:
I really liked the Daily the first couple of days I used it. The 360 photo's gave you the feeling of almost being there, movie reviews playing the trailers in the picture window, and the startup video was a nice touch. The paper literally sucks you in and makes time fly. Therein lies the problem.

The Daily is great if you have a three hour layover. If you want to take a 15 minute break, not so much. It needs a Drudgereport or Pulse option to quickly scan all articles. My wife wanted me to read an article and handed me the ipad but I accidentally touched the screen and lost it. Neither of us could re-locate the article. It's too difficult to quickly find specific articles if you don't know what section you were in. If you start in one section and keep swiping you enter other sections without knowing it.

But they are definitely on to something. Up until now, reading e-news always left something to be desired compared to reading a real magazine or newspaper. You just can't relax sitting at a desk and you miss out on intimately holding your medium close and examining the photos. The ipad solved the relaxing part and now the Daily has solved the media part. In fact, it goes beyond solving it and improved it. Now only if they could solve the problem of it constantly crashing.

I totally agree with you. If they are smart, they will extend their free period until they fix most of the bugs, otherwise they will loose people like me. I now use BBC, CNN and USA Today apps and they all work pretty well and are free. I am willing to pay their price IF it works. Right now it takes for ever to load, is not intuitive and crashes too often. I also agree with the statements regarding political comments....they are really boring!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm in the minority again, I guess. I deleted the app within minutes, as I found it to be a pretty crappy newspaper in terms of writing and coverage, a bargain-basement USA Today.

Most reactions

Latest posts