The Daily to Start Charging for Subscription in the US Next Week, and to Launch in Eu

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHILJBw-104[/ame]​

The UK’s Telegraph newspaper reports today that News Corps’ The Daily iPad newspaper app will start charging for subscriptions in the US from next week. The announcement was made by Jonathan Miller, chief digital officer at News Corp, who was speaking at the Abu Dhabi Media Summit.

“We have our beginning moment of truth next week when we start to ask people to get out their wallets,†he told the summit, revealing that the subscription will cost $39.99 a year, and that the app is aimed at a younger audience than traditional newspapers.

Miller also took the opportunity to announce that The Daily will be launched in Western Europe in the first half of 2011 (i.e. soon!), depending on where and when Apple rolls out its subscription model.

Source: The Daily: Rupert Murdoch's iPad newspaper to launch in UK by June 2011 - Telegraph
  2. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I wish them luck. But as for me, looks like I will be deleting The Daily. The content was not bad but not much different than a a dozen other offerings for iPad that are free. But worse was the interaction with the app. I was never able to like it, and can't imagine paying for it. Granted it was like flipping through a magazine from beginning to end--at least how I ended up reading it. But I want new media to go beyond that.

Michael
  3. JF7FSU

JF7FSU iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not impressed enough to pay $40 per year when there are free alternatives as good or better.