What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texting with email address

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also a 5s iphone. When I text my daughters with my ipad they receive it as an email address instead of my name. They all have iphones and ipads 5 or better. I have two different apple IDs, one for the phone and one for the ipad. does that make a difference? If so how do I change them as the one on the phone is and .icloud email address? The ipad says I can't make it an .icloud id and the phone says I cant change it if it is an .icloud address.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On your iPad, make sure you're signed in with your iCloud ID in Settings - Messages - Send & Receive. It has to be the same iCloud email address as on your iPhone. In this case, using a different ID for both devices is not a good idea.
If it's not the same, tap the ID, and sign out, then sign in again with the ID used on your iPhone.
Also, your telephone number should be checkmarked on your iPad (same location: Send & Receive). In "Start new conversations from": there, you should checkmark your telephone number instead of your email address.

On your iPhone, you have to allow Text Message Forwarding for your iPad. That's in Settings - Messages - Text Message Forwarding. Enable your iPad there.

Hope that helps.

OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iphone, under messages, my ID is with a @icloud.com address. Everything else on the phone is from a different address. I tried to change the address on my ipad to the @cloud.com address and it won't let me. Says can not make it a @icloud.com address.. On the iphone I tried to change it to another address but it won't let me delete the @icloud.com address. What now? I really appreciate your quick response on this and hope there is an answer for me. Also when I went to make sure that the message forwarding was correct, cannot find it.,

OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ho ho, got it. Was able to change the @icloud.com addresss anyway. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated..Am now running with all cylendars.

OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oops, spoke too soon. I did get all of the apple Ids changed so that they are all alike but I am still having problems with it., I am told I am still sending my email address and no picture, also now I am also not receiving the pictures of the sender. whoa is me. lol Help again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you allow text message forwarding for your iPad in your iPhone's settings? Is your phone number visible in Send & Receive on your iPad, and is it checkmarked in "You can be reached by iMessage at" and "Start new conversations from"?

Last edited:
OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do allow text message forwarding and the phone # is visible as well as the email address in in both of those. They are both checked in the reached by imessage but only the phone number is checked in the start new conversations from.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On both iDevices, go to Settings - Messages, as well as Settings - FaceTime, tap your ID and sign out.

Then open Settings on your iPhone first, go to Messages and FaceTime and sign in again. Do the same on your iPad afterwards.

OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, did that and still no go. On my wifes iphone and ipad right in the same house together everything is okay. I sent a group our to my daughters who all have iphones and they came back different. One of them says no picture next to message and no name above message. The other one says my name is different that what it was over the text. My step son i sent seperately didn't know anythinng but when his message came back no picure next to message and no name above it. They all showed up on the left with pictures and names.. Everybody is telling me different .. Really weird on this one.

OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got you really grinding your gears on this one J.A.? Hope someone can help me. Done all that you have asked and still problems. Really appreciated that you are still trying.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Afaik, your setup is correct.
Maybe it's the setting on the other iDevices (not yours) that need to be changed.

OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just looked at my wifes phone and she gets mine correct.. One of my daughters just said that she looked at detail on messages and found that I only had the phone icon and not the facebook icon. My wifes shows both. How can 4 other iphones show something different all at once? They were all okay the day before this all started. They live out of state from me, two of them in Ca. and two of them in Vegas.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your daughter's iPhone doesn't show the FB icon, it's something in her settings that has to be changed.

OP
salty dog

salty dog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a message we had been txting in, she went to details, and there she said the icon for facebook was there but not the one with the phone on it, so most likely same scenario you mentioned in your previous post, I guess? Will contact her tomorrow and see if she can correct it somehow, and maybe the rest of them are the same way.. Don't know how they all would have got messed up at the same time though. Thanks again will keep you posted..Got to be some answer.

Most reactions

Latest posts