What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethered wi-fi vs 4G Question

ts47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opted to buy the 4G (Verizon) version of the Ipad 4 and sell my Ipad 3 wireless and here's why. (It should be on Ebay in the next few days.)

I use my Ipad for work - real estate. I tethered with my Android phone (a RAZR MAXX with a really big battery-so battery drain was not a problem). As long as only my Ipad was connected to the phone, internet worked great! There was no GPS of course. The problem I ran into was when my phone was connected via bluetooth to my car and wirelessly to my ipad. In this situation, the internet service on my Ipad became somewhat unreliable. Picture me driving around with clients trying to pull up homes on my Ipad and it wouldn't work in my car.

For my plan with Verizon, the cost to tether is the same as the cost to connect a 4G Ipad with 2 gigs of data. My plan is to drop the tethering and just use the Ipad insted. As another person stated, you get GPS with the 4G version of the Ipad. This will be quite nice to have in my line of work. It will also be nice not to have to grab my phone, activate the mobile hotspot feature then wait for everything to connect before trying to do something on my Ipad. It's that instant gratification thing.

In the end, it depends on how you plan to use your Ipad whether you should choose the cellular version or not. 1st, it's more expensive - $20-30 per month for service and another $130 for the cost of the Ipad. Are you an occassional internet user where tethering would be just fine or more of a business/power user like me? If you tether, do you have or will you be getting in the near future a 4G phone you can connect to? Tetering on 3G is not much fun.

Hope these thoughts help you decide what is best for you.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to sell a very lightly used Ipad 3, 32gig wireless?

MapleNuts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always use eBay to sell my obsolete or "I want something new" electronic gadgets. I just sold an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note today for $410 and the activity was extremely high. Place the Gen 3 iPad on eBay with lots of nice pictures and be specific about the condition, and what the features it has. Remember to "sell the sizzle, not the steak". With the popularity of iPads and the holiday season, it should sell well. Just don't expect to get what you paid for it, because it is used. You would be competing between a new iPad 2 at $399 16GB and a Ipad 4 16GB $499, and ipad Mini (really a reduced size ipad 2) $329.
Being you have Retina Display, a better camera, and faster chip I would say you could get $350 because it is better than the version 2, better than the MINI, except for size, and you have double the storage of the base iPads. I would list the auction at $225 (to get interest) and do a 5 day auction and the price will definitely be bid up to around $350+- This all assumes the device is in MINT PERFECT LIKE NEW CONDITION.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jday7757 said:
Thanks for the reply. I am moving from Android tablet and phone to iOS. I will be eligible for my upgrade to iPhone 5 in January. Thanks for pointing out the GPS issue. Although in the back of mind I know I heard that before but forgot about it.

Do you not like your android tablet?

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

ts47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always use eBay to sell my obsolete or "I want something new" electronic gadgets. I just sold an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note today for $410 and the activity was extremely high. Place the Gen 3 iPad on eBay with lots of nice pictures and be specific about the condition, and what the features it has. Remember to "sell the sizzle, not the steak". With the popularity of iPads and the holiday season, it should sell well. Just don't expect to get what you paid for it, because it is used. You would be competing between a new iPad 2 at $399 16GB and a Ipad 4 16GB $499, and ipad Mini (really a reduced size ipad 2) $329.
Being you have Retina Display, a better camera, and faster chip I would say you could get $350 because it is better than the version 2, better than the MINI, except for size, and you have double the storage of the base iPads. I would list the auction at $225 (to get interest) and do a 5 day auction and the price will definitely be bid up to around $350+- This all assumes the device is in MINT PERFECT LIKE NEW CONDITION.

Thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Latest posts