Tethered wi-fi vs 4G Question

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by jday7757, Nov 7, 2012.

1. jday7757

jday7757 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am ready to purchase an iPad 4 but am not sure whether or not to wait for the 4G model. I have mobile hotspot with my Verizon account so I know I can use my smartphone to access the internet on the iPad. My question is can anyone tell me if the internet access speed will be the same whether I use a wi-fi iPad and a mobile hotspot or use a iPad 4G? If I buy the iPad 4G it will be on my same Verizon account so either way of connecting would be using the same internet access. I just don't know if I will lose speed going from the phone to the iPad vs accessing directly on the iPad. Thanks.
  2. Skull One

Skull One iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0
    That is a good question. My take on it is pretty simple.

The Celullar iPad has one major feature difference over the WiFi only version. GPS. If you need the iPad to have that feature, then you have to go Cellular no matter what.

Now if you own an iPhone 5 and plan to use that as a hot spot, then the speed should be same whether you hotspot or direct connect. But if you have a 4S or older, then the iPad will be faster.
  3. jday7757

jday7757 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply. I am moving from Android tablet and phone to iOS. I will be eligible for my upgrade to iPhone 5 in January. Thanks for pointing out the GPS issue. Although in the back of mind I know I heard that before but forgot about it.
  4. Twism86

Twism86 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used my iPad 2 tethered to my friends iPhone 5 LTE hotspot, faster than my wifi. You dont need a 4G iPad if you already have that, plenty quick.
  5. dvboy

dvboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    One thing to keep in mind is that the battery will die really fast on your iPhone while tethering,maybe get an hour out of it,while the 4g iPad will be able to go 10+ hours on the 4g network.
  6. jwjohnson

jwjohnson iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I use an android 4G phone to tether my wifi only iPad 2 and iPad 4. It works great. You get full 4G speed. My battery in the phone is good for 3-4 hours of tethering before I need a recharge. When travelling I always carry an external battery pack that will run my phone and my iPads, so that's no real worry.
  7. Wingennis

Wingennis iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The LTE option is sort of wasted in areas of the country that don't yet have 4G available yet. Very expensive to pay for, too. I tether with my iPhone and used the money for more storage.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  8. MapleNuts

MapleNuts iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Living in NY, Verizon is strong with LTE. I just bought the 64GB, WIFI and 4G LTE version. Yup, it was definitely more expensive, although only by $130, which seemed a bargain, but connecting via 4G LTE is so much more graceful and cleaner than having to tether. I know the 64GB was mandatory for me because of the lack of SD Card expansion, but having the built-in GPS and always on and ready to go fast internet is great. I guess I have moved from the dark side of my Android Galaxy Note, and now I embrace the Apple ecosystem owning a Macbook Pro, iPhone4S, and now this great iPad 4 tablet. Life if great.
  9. Wingennis

Wingennis iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Don't listen to me. I have 4G envy. Just getting a signal at all is exciting in most of Arizona.

Sent from my iPad 4 using iPF
  10. MB50

MB50 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Im getting ready to buy a new IPad 4, (Verzion), are you saying in Az I wont have 4G?, I have Sprint for my phone so Ive never used Verzion
  11. Wingennis

Wingennis iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If you live in or near Phoenix or Flagstaff, 4G is available. That is about it except for patches along the major highways. It hurts to pay for a 4G data plan and not have 4G. I hope you live in the valley so you can fully enjoy your new iPad.

12. phobos512

phobos512 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tucson has LTE on Verizon also...I was there last week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  13. Wingennis

Wingennis iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My mistake. It is too hot for me to wander that far south...

14. Bestplay3

Bestplay3 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say look at the pricing more than anything. Is the tethering plan cheaper than the iPad data option? That would be my deciding factor.
  15. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,534 / 1
    You also have to consider the increase in battery drain while tethering. The battery may not last long enough.
  16. ts47

ts47 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I opted to buy the 4G (Verizon) version of the Ipad 4 and sell my Ipad 3 wireless and here's why. (It should be on Ebay in the next few days.)

I use my Ipad for work - real estate. I tethered with my Android phone (a RAZR MAXX with a really big battery-so battery drain was not a problem). As long as only my Ipad was connected to the phone, internet worked great! There was no GPS of course. The problem I ran into was when my phone was connected via bluetooth to my car and wirelessly to my ipad. In this situation, the internet service on my Ipad became somewhat unreliable. Picture me driving around with clients trying to pull up homes on my Ipad and it wouldn't work in my car.

For my plan with Verizon, the cost to tether is the same as the cost to connect a 4G Ipad with 2 gigs of data. My plan is to drop the tethering and just use the Ipad insted. As another person stated, you get GPS with the 4G version of the Ipad. This will be quite nice to have in my line of work. It will also be nice not to have to grab my phone, activate the mobile hotspot feature then wait for everything to connect before trying to do something on my Ipad. It's that instant gratification thing.

In the end, it depends on how you plan to use your Ipad whether you should choose the cellular version or not. 1st, it's more expensive - $20-30 per month for service and another $130 for the cost of the Ipad. Are you an occassional internet user where tethering would be just fine or more of a business/power user like me? If you tether, do you have or will you be getting in the near future a 4G phone you can connect to? Tetering on 3G is not much fun.

Hope these thoughts help you decide what is best for you.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to sell a very lightly used Ipad 3, 32gig wireless?
  17. MapleNuts

MapleNuts iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I always use eBay to sell my obsolete or "I want something new" electronic gadgets. I just sold an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note today for $410 and the activity was extremely high. Place the Gen 3 iPad on eBay with lots of nice pictures and be specific about the condition, and what the features it has. Remember to "sell the sizzle, not the steak". With the popularity of iPads and the holiday season, it should sell well. Just don't expect to get what you paid for it, because it is used. You would be competing between a new iPad 2 at $399 16GB and a Ipad 4 16GB $499, and ipad Mini (really a reduced size ipad 2) $329.
    Being you have Retina Display, a better camera, and faster chip I would say you could get $350 because it is better than the version 2, better than the MINI, except for size, and you have double the storage of the base iPads. I would list the auction at $225 (to get interest) and do a 5 day auction and the price will definitely be bid up to around $350+- This all assumes the device is in MINT PERFECT LIKE NEW CONDITION.
  18. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Do you not like your android tablet?

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
  19. ts47

ts47 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0