What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethered wi-fi vs 4G Question

jday7757

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am ready to purchase an iPad 4 but am not sure whether or not to wait for the 4G model. I have mobile hotspot with my Verizon account so I know I can use my smartphone to access the internet on the iPad. My question is can anyone tell me if the internet access speed will be the same whether I use a wi-fi iPad and a mobile hotspot or use a iPad 4G? If I buy the iPad 4G it will be on my same Verizon account so either way of connecting would be using the same internet access. I just don't know if I will lose speed going from the phone to the iPad vs accessing directly on the iPad. Thanks.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is a good question. My take on it is pretty simple.

The Celullar iPad has one major feature difference over the WiFi only version. GPS. If you need the iPad to have that feature, then you have to go Cellular no matter what.

Now if you own an iPhone 5 and plan to use that as a hot spot, then the speed should be same whether you hotspot or direct connect. But if you have a 4S or older, then the iPad will be faster.

OP
J

jday7757

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am moving from Android tablet and phone to iOS. I will be eligible for my upgrade to iPhone 5 in January. Thanks for pointing out the GPS issue. Although in the back of mind I know I heard that before but forgot about it.

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
I used my iPad 2 tethered to my friends iPhone 5 LTE hotspot, faster than my wifi. You dont need a 4G iPad if you already have that, plenty quick.

dvboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that the battery will die really fast on your iPhone while tethering,maybe get an hour out of it,while the 4g iPad will be able to go 10+ hours on the 4g network.

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an android 4G phone to tether my wifi only iPad 2 and iPad 4. It works great. You get full 4G speed. My battery in the phone is good for 3-4 hours of tethering before I need a recharge. When travelling I always carry an external battery pack that will run my phone and my iPads, so that's no real worry.

Wingennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The LTE option is sort of wasted in areas of the country that don't yet have 4G available yet. Very expensive to pay for, too. I tether with my iPhone and used the money for more storage.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MapleNuts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Living in NY, Verizon is strong with LTE. I just bought the 64GB, WIFI and 4G LTE version. Yup, it was definitely more expensive, although only by $130, which seemed a bargain, but connecting via 4G LTE is so much more graceful and cleaner than having to tether. I know the 64GB was mandatory for me because of the lack of SD Card expansion, but having the built-in GPS and always on and ready to go fast internet is great. I guess I have moved from the dark side of my Android Galaxy Note, and now I embrace the Apple ecosystem owning a Macbook Pro, iPhone4S, and now this great iPad 4 tablet. Life if great.

Wingennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't listen to me. I have 4G envy. Just getting a signal at all is exciting in most of Arizona.

Sent from my iPad 4 using iPF

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't listen to me. I have 4G envy. Just getting a signal at all is exciting in most of Arizona.

Im getting ready to buy a new IPad 4, (Verzion), are you saying in Az I wont have 4G?, I have Sprint for my phone so Ive never used Verzion

Wingennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you live in or near Phoenix or Flagstaff, 4G is available. That is about it except for patches along the major highways. It hurts to pay for a 4G data plan and not have 4G. I hope you live in the valley so you can fully enjoy your new iPad.

phobos512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you live in or near Phoenix or Flagstaff, 4G is available. That is about it except for patches along the major highways. It hurts to pay for a 4G data plan and not have 4G. I hope you live in the valley so you can fully enjoy your new iPad.

Tucson has LTE on Verizon also...I was there last week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Wingennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
phobos512 said:
Tucson has LTE on Verizon also...I was there last week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

My mistake. It is too hot for me to wander that far south...

Bestplay3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say look at the pricing more than anything. Is the tethering plan cheaper than the iPad data option? That would be my deciding factor.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bestplay3 said:
I would say look at the pricing more than anything. Is the tethering plan cheaper than the iPad data option? That would be my deciding factor.

You also have to consider the increase in battery drain while tethering. The battery may not last long enough.

Most reactions

Latest posts