What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

teamviewer vs splashtop

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using LMI.free for years on various Windows boxes in support of my own and numerous other remote PCs. With my recent acquisition of an iPad, I would like to use the iPad to access those Windows PCs for the same purpose.

I can get to a PC, but the screen refreshes are agonizingly slow... not at all like using any PC to log into LMI.free and then going to a PC of my choice to work on.

Also, if I try to install the LMI plugin for Mac, it says the dl failed and says Safari cannot dl the file.

I have an installed base of LMI.free PCs (~20 or so) that I maintain, but can't upload any files from my end due to limitations of the LMI.free version. So I'm thinking maybe it's time to look at another free or low-cost option since LMI Ignition is kinda expensive and I'm not sure about being able to upload files with Ignition either.

Anyone have any thoughts or comparison of these two programs? I assume they work similar to what I'm used to requiring a program to be installed on the host computer and providing me access when I log into the appropriate website. I know that both allow the ability to upload files from my end which is a plus.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both - TeamViewer works more like LMI i.e. easy to access across the Internet. Splashtop works better over the LAN and is almost real time in screen updates.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback donka. So for my purposes of maintaining remote and local Windows installations, do you have a preference for one over the other? Remote is more important than local since I can just get up and walk over to a PC on my wireless LAN, if need be.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both - TeamViewer works more like LMI i.e. easy to access across the Internet. Splashtop works better over the LAN and is almost real time in screen updates.

Splashtop works exactly the same for me over LAN and wan.

You just have to port forward to view remotely...very simple.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback donka. So for my purposes of maintaining remote and local Windows installations, do you have a preference for one over the other? Remote is more important than local since I can just get up and walk over to a PC on my wireless LAN, if need be.

For this purpose I personally would be using TeamViewer. It's more complete in my eyes and easy to use remotely.
I prefer Splashtop for LAN access because of the speed of screen refresh & carrying audio - important for running my poker client software.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And I recommend splashtop. I use it everyday all day at work. I set my iPad next to me with my bt keyboard and it's basically a laptop, since I can do everything on it and it is FAST!!!

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well that certainly settles that issue! One solid vote for each one!

Logging in to my LMI/free account using Safari in the iPad (and wifi), I navigated to one of my managed PCs and the screen refresh was glacial compared to doing the same thing on a PC. I don't know enough about the iPad/Apple yet to understand why this is.

So I'd like to kill two birds with one stone and get my speed back plus have the ability to transfer files.

Sounds like either would work for me. I haven't had to do the port transfer thing before, but I'm sure I can figure it out.. with a little help if needed.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reading a bit in the description of TV, there seem to be two options to remotely manage a PC... either install an app on the host or have an operator there to manually run an app. Is that correct?

How does Splashtop work in this regard?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reading a bit in the description of TV, there seem to be two options to remotely manage a PC... either install an app on the host or have an operator there to manually run an app. Is that correct?

How does Splashtop work in this regard?

Splashtop has a service that is always running - no option to start the share manually.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I switched from Team Viewer to Splashtop on someones recommendation and been more than happy with it since it runs on both macs and pc's.
Sadly I can't remember the exact reason why since it was a while ago, but expect it was just snappier and more easy to use.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
testing splashtop

a0e61b0784743b6a87319939c5ce76a4.jpg

Running Splashtop on Windows 7 PC, tested Chrome remote from the Ipad.

There is only 1 thing I 'm missing:
do not send the sound to the ipad

(You can disable the sound on the main server and let the ipad do that, but on the other way not! If you don't set anything both have sound, like the "server" and remote client (ipad) too... Which is bad :-D An extra option should be added)

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I figure nothing better to do that just try them out for myself. So I bought Splashtop for the iPad and also installed Splashtop remote on a computer where I was visiting this afternoon. I was able to connect just fine via the WLAN there. But now that I'm back home, I don't know how to gain access to that remote computer. Not much in the way of tutorials that I've found either.

So now I'm looking into Teamviewer. I d/l the TV app for the iPad and on the partner list screen, attempted to setup a new account. But all I got for the longest time was a blank screen with the circling/busy icon. Finally, after multiple attempts, it let me create an account. Now it works fine and I can access my Win7/64 computer with ease. It even leaves the resolution alone, unlike Splashtop which reconfigures the host resolution to 1024x768. However, there is a setting that lets you leave the host computer in its default configuration, but that is not the default setting in Splashtop.

I've learned that, just like LMI free, if I want 24/7 unattended access, I have to install a program on the host computer. No surprise there. But the advantage is that with TV I can transfer files.

I have yet to figure out how to gain remote access via Splashtop. Been trying to figure out how to do port forwarding with my Linksys router. Looks easy enough, but I just haven't sorted it out yet.

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have yet to figure out how to gain remote access via Splashtop. Been trying to figure out how to do port forwarding with my Linksys router. Looks easy enough, but I just haven't sorted it out yet.

Have you checked out th 2wire instructions I wrote? Not the same router but I would think the procedures are similar.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to enable portforward and access the IP of your ISP with Splashtop.

To let the resolution as it, you should change the Splashtop client settings under Advanced to use the native screen of the host computer. Than it won't automaticall resize to 1024x768.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts