teamviewer vs splashtop

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by speedlever, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedlever

speedlever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have been using LMI.free for years on various Windows boxes in support of my own and numerous other remote PCs. With my recent acquisition of an iPad, I would like to use the iPad to access those Windows PCs for the same purpose.

I can get to a PC, but the screen refreshes are agonizingly slow... not at all like using any PC to log into LMI.free and then going to a PC of my choice to work on.

Also, if I try to install the LMI plugin for Mac, it says the dl failed and says Safari cannot dl the file.

I have an installed base of LMI.free PCs (~20 or so) that I maintain, but can't upload any files from my end due to limitations of the LMI.free version. So I'm thinking maybe it's time to look at another free or low-cost option since LMI Ignition is kinda expensive and I'm not sure about being able to upload files with Ignition either.

Anyone have any thoughts or comparison of these two programs? I assume they work similar to what I'm used to requiring a program to be installed on the host computer and providing me access when I log into the appropriate website. I know that both allow the ability to upload files from my end which is a plus.

2. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have both - TeamViewer works more like LMI i.e. easy to access across the Internet. Splashtop works better over the LAN and is almost real time in screen updates.

3. speedlever

speedlever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the feedback donka. So for my purposes of maintaining remote and local Windows installations, do you have a preference for one over the other? Remote is more important than local since I can just get up and walk over to a PC on my wireless LAN, if need be.

4. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Splashtop works exactly the same for me over LAN and wan.

You just have to port forward to view remotely...very simple.

5. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

For this purpose I personally would be using TeamViewer. It's more complete in my eyes and easy to use remotely.
    I prefer Splashtop for LAN access because of the speed of screen refresh & carrying audio - important for running my poker client software.

6. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    And I recommend splashtop. I use it everyday all day at work. I set my iPad next to me with my bt keyboard and it's basically a laptop, since I can do everything on it and it is FAST!!!

7. speedlever

speedlever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Well that certainly settles that issue! One solid vote for each one!

Logging in to my LMI/free account using Safari in the iPad (and wifi), I navigated to one of my managed PCs and the screen refresh was glacial compared to doing the same thing on a PC. I don't know enough about the iPad/Apple yet to understand why this is.

So I'd like to kill two birds with one stone and get my speed back plus have the ability to transfer files.

Sounds like either would work for me. I haven't had to do the port transfer thing before, but I'm sure I can figure it out.. with a little help if needed.

8. speedlever

speedlever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Reading a bit in the description of TV, there seem to be two options to remotely manage a PC... either install an app on the host or have an operator there to manually run an app. Is that correct?

How does Splashtop work in this regard?

9. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Splashtop has a service that is always running - no option to start the share manually.

10. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I switched from Team Viewer to Splashtop on someones recommendation and been more than happy with it since it runs on both macs and pc's.
    Sadly I can't remember the exact reason why since it was a while ago, but expect it was just snappier and more easy to use.