What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

teamviewer vs splashtop

Status
Not open for further replies.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Splashtop shows a red x (no connection) to the remote PC until someone logs onto the PC. Then the red X goes away and Splashtop has access to the remote PC.

You're correct, that's a limitation of Splashtop - it won't work until the desktop app is running and that won't load until the system has finished booting. It's not an issue for me as I typically leave my laptop running and it doesn't require a password on boot. I changed my config to that specifically for Splashtop.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well now if I'd realized that early on, I'd not have experienced the joy of learning about port forwarding. :D

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Everyair is fast. Very fast. It was designed for gaming, but it does everything else amazingly well. Its accurate and cheap. 5 bucks on the app store right now. Its a steal!!! Totally worth it, imo . The best RD app around. If you youtube the word everyair or google it, you can find loads more info

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Everyair is fast. Very fast. It was designed for gaming, but it does everything else amazingly well. Its accurate and cheap. 5 bucks on the app store right now. Its a steal!!! Totally worth it, imo . The best RD app around. If you youtube the word everyair or google it, you can find loads more info

I checked it out on youtube as you suggested. This looks no faster than Splashtop, it doesn't support streaming sound (yet it's for gaming?), the on-screen keyboard doesn't have the extra functions keys, and it's more expensive. Like Speedlever, I think I'd need to see a comparison done; the benefits aren't readily apparent.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For my purposes of doing remote PC maintenance, there are times when the PC has to be rebooted before continuing the process. When a PC boots to the welcome screen (where you log onto the PC) it will sit there until someone logs in. If the remote PC boots right to the desktop, Splashtop should be fine. But I have a number of remote PCs that require login to get to the desktop.

Splashtop shows a red x (no connection) to the remote PC until someone logs onto the PC. Then the red X goes away and Splashtop has access to the remote PC.

Logmein and Teamviewer do not suffer from this limitation... which absolutely kills Splashtop for me.

Gotcha.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I received an email from TeamViewer this morning in response to my questions about the exit screen and panning on the iPad.

I had asked if there was an option to kill the exit screen left on the host when a remote session was ended. I also asked if there was an option to change the direction the screen pans. Right now, the screen pans opposite the direction of finger movement, ie, if you touch and drag from left to right, the screen pans right to left, as if you were using a slider bar at the bottom of the screen. I find this counter to what I would expect in that if I touch and drag left to right, I expect the screen to pan left to right, not vice versa.

Here's is TeamViewer's response:
1) If you purchase the TeamViewer Pro HD App and initiate the remote control session with it, the exit screen on the host computer will no longer appear, since this would not be a free session anymore.

2) The behavior of the motion is intentional and cannot be changed. It was defined the most logical way: when you are touching and dragging to the right you are moving the screen to see the right hand side."

The cheapest purchase option I find for TV Pro HD for iPad is $140US. Somehow, I don't find myself going that route just to disable the exit screen left on the host... especially for a free service I provide for my relatives.

And what's up with that exit screen on the host anyway? It's not like the remote PC user has a choice over what software I choose to use to maintain the remote PC. I could see a nag screen on the client side, but on the host side?

Here's a screen shot of the exit screen:
1FrE6.png

Looks like I'm back to LMI Ignition as my best (and cheapest option)... once it goes back on sale again.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The cheapest purchase option I find for TV Pro HD for iPad is $140US. Somehow, I don't find myself going that route just to disable the exit screen left on the host... especially for a free service I provide for my relatives.

And what's up with that exit screen on the host anyway? It's not like the remote PC user has a choice over what software I choose to use to maintain the remote PC. I could see a nag screen on the client side, but on the host side?

I'm curious why this 'fairplay' message is such a deal breaker for you if you are just providing assistance to relatives?

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good question. I just find it intrusive and it's a big enough negative that I am reluctant to use it, even if it's free.

I reserve the option to change my mind. :)

I don't mind it on the client side. But I object to it on the host side.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score

is there a support for windows server 2003?

update: NO, it doesn't

Last edited:

jamesroger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to hosted solutions from LogMeIn, you may want to consider a RHUB remote support server. It works well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The original thread is almost four years old. The mentioned remote solutions have been heavily updated, and there are a slew of new choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts