What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion needed for evernote alternative?

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notepad is ok but it only syncs across Apple devices. I started using Evernote because I wanted to access notes on other platforms. I usually do this via their website if not using iOS.

Evernote is about to change their policy on free access, charging for access of more than 2 devices. I don't need Evernote for business, collaboration, etc. I only use it because it gives me access regardless of the device I'm using. Thus, I find their soon to be $4/mo charge for basic access more than I am willing to pay.

Any suggestions for an alternative to Evernote that is cross platform, mostly interested in Linux access in addition to iOS?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't been using Evernote much lately, so I've been considering dropping my subscription as well. The price hike, while minor, is making it more tempting.

I think the Notes app is all I'm going to need, but that won't do if you need to access your notes on Linux as well.

I saw an Android Central article today exploring the same issue. Some of the suggestions were:

Simplenote
Google Keep
Google Docs
OneNote

Other than Google Docs (thorugh a browser) I'm not sure what if any Linux support these have, but it's somewhere to start.

After thought: I guess you could access the Notes app in a browser by going to icloud.com; but I doubt you'd find it a great solution.

OP
J

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been reading a lot about simplenote, looking for other possible solutions, including onenote. I don't really want to wrap myself up too much with MS and yet another cloud service.

I tried the icloud access to Notes via linux & firefox. It seems to work well enough. Most of the notes I make are on the iPad and most often accessed on iPhone. This may prove to be sufficient since I don't do much editing of notes in Linux.

I have not yet checked on images in Notes. Simplenote does not support that. But I can live without that.

Evernote is maintaining free Basic for 2 devices so I may decide to keep it for iOS use and the limited functionality of restricted use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Notes will store and display images. You can also create hand written/drawn notes, that are stored as images. It also has some support for enhanced weblinks and many other document files (though it won't dipplay them all). You can read about it here.

Use Notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Though Apple didn't say much about Notes at WWDC, I'd expect a few more enhancements when iOS 10 comes out this fall. Maybe image annotation. This is available in Mail now, and Apple seems to be opening it up to other apps (like Photos).

Probably the best thing about Notes is that it's integrated into iOS. You can use a share extention to start or add to a note from lots of other apps.

OP
J

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for link. Seems like Notes is a good solution for my needs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problrm.

I spent some time today cleaning up my Evernote acocunt in preperation to migrating to Notes. I'm not really affected by the changes, since I already had a premium account, but the news did remind me that I'm paying for a service I barely use these days.

Most reactions

Latest posts