The Reason for No Flash

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mikerm, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Ninja

Ninja iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want to find out the amount of Flash involved in the web I recommend that you install Firefox and the Flashblock addon. You may be surprised how much Flash is used for things like buttons & etc to navigate web sites.

For me, the lack of Flash is a deal breaker. There are a lot of other shortcomings, but the lack of Flash is a continuing failure of Apple. Steve promised "all the internet" for the first iPhone. Without Flash you can not access "all the internet". Steve lied.
  2. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You keep saying the same thing over and over again.

Please tell me what sites you use regularly that are unusable without Flash.

Because I used the Flash Blocker for 2 weeks (like I said above) and there wasn't a single site that I wasn't able to get the information that I needed without Flash. It was all superfluous advertisements, video clips, and games.
  3. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Newgrounds? :D
  4. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    What is that? Some kind of developers website? Or games or something?

If so, How do you even play games like that on a touch screen? The few that I have played required a keyboard.
  5. Ninja

Ninja iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good for you! (Seriously.)

Most people have no idea at all how much Flash is used in the internet (especially people who have never used anything but Safari as a browser simply because it does not offer the option to block Flash (a good thing when on a slow connection)) and the sites that they use. If you do and are making an informed decision to purchase the device that is great. Far too many people are being misled by Apple. I very much like the news reader NetNewsWire. It saves me a lot of time. Unfortunately, it lacks Flash capability which means that I frequently have to open a web site in a browser in order to access web content. Fortunately, this is easily accomplished with it.

You are aware that they quietly pulled promotional materials that fraudulently showed a Flash based web site to be working on the iPad aren't you?

I suggest that people use Firefox and Flashblock so that people can make up their own minds based upon their own use. My experience is that the iPhone was of little use to me because of a number of rather fundamental problems the device had. The review I read after trying (and returning it) that best described my experience with it described it as a fundamentally flawed device. Take a look at Canon's web site. It uses a Flash based map to select the region and country for access to information. Other sites use it for buttons used to navigate the site. I am not arguing that this is the best way to build a web site. I am just saying that it is done this way in many cases which means you either have Flash capability or you can not access the web site's content.

Without Flash capability I will not purchase this or any other device. It does not fit my needs. Like it or not, Flash utilization is widespread if not ubiquitous. The truth is that Steve promised "all the internet" with the first iPhone. Without Flash you can not access all the internet. Steve lied.
  6. KiltedTim

KiltedTim iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. IGonz

IGonz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If the ipad is anything like the iphone or itouch I don't need flash for what I do.
  8. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The fact is, the vast majority of people do not need Flash to browse the vast majority of websites. I saw someone earlier pull the "fact" out of thin air that 75% of the web uses Flash, which is complete and utter BS. I rarely run into Flash, and I browse the web quite a bit for research.
  9. Ninja

Ninja iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. scottjl

scottjl iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    a similar discussion was brought up on another forum i frequent. installing flashblock/noscript on your desktop and viewing site is not the same experience as viewing it on an iphone (and soon ipad). many sites out there look at what browser you are using and will direct you to a mobile version of their web site when they detect you're on an iphone using safari, i assume it will be similar when the ipad is out. those mobile sites don't have flash content. some tests (informal) were done with popular sites like disney, sports illustrated and even apple's site.

so saying that browsing using an ipad is going to result in a lot of sites with missing plugin boxes is just not true. and if the ipad takes off, expect more sites to code up mobile versions in addition to their desktop versions.
  11. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Wait, what? I didn't say that.

Ninja: If you don't plan on buying an iPad, and you hate it so much, why do you hang around on this site? Just to try to bring down the rest of us who actually are interested in the iPad? You are going to talk any of us out of it.
  12. KiltedTim

KiltedTim iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  13. iVegas702

iVegas702 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only thing I see flash does is give you a crap load of adds on the web page. I for one can do with out it.
  14. Ninja

Ninja iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh, then you admit it wasn't an accident?

"You are going to talk any of us out of it." Say what?

When in doubt, read the topic..."The Reason for No Flash"...you might find it helpful.

If you think you don't need Flash, good for you. Most people who actually use the internet know that you need Flash whether you care to admit it or not. Steve has personal issues that have been getting in the way of business.
  15. mac

mac iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would need to take off like a bird full of air. I suspect sites have mobile versions because of screen size rather than no Flash. The iPad has a desktop sized screen so creating another mobile version with only Flash excluded, but a desktop sized layout would be seen as a pain in the **** (that's the British spelling).

I just tried the Flash blocker experiment on my laptop. I lasted a day. Drove me mad. News sites become more work. YouTube was a pain. And the web looked a little communist with all those grey dots rather than colourful ads.

I suspect the mass want Flash, and the iPad will suffer without it.

Maybe the 4th quarter global smart phone market share numbers, publishers' reactions to Apple's overtures for content, and the growing unease at the record companies will put a little shiver down Steve's spine and make him reevaluate how the media world and the mass market actually operates.
  16. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You are confusing me for someone else, I never said anything about it, accident or not.

You say that I don't think I need I Flash. I *KNOW* I don't need Flash. I use the internet every day, I don't need Flash. You have still failed to illustrate why exactly anyone NEEDS Flash. Maybe you could start by doing that and then people will take you more seriously. Until then, all you are doing is trolling this website.

Again, if you aren't planning on buying the iPad, why waste your time posting here?
  17. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is flash

i use internet every day and i have 6 web site, i don't need flash at all. i would like someone demonstrate me what i really loose ??

The stupid animation, ?? the child game, so cheap video about think just interest my gran-ma ??

What is so necessary in flash ?, i use Adobe :Acrobat pro, Illustrator , Photoshop , but flash they can keep it for themselves even in all my web site i refuse that crapy system .... but i am waiting a clear demonstration i am wrong
  18. Ninja

Ninja iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to disagree with your point, but, if Apple went belly up, it would affect all the world because someone would pick over the carcuss, buy the rights to the OS, develop it, sell it to go on commonly available hardware, and really change the world.
  19. kilofox

kilofox iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yep... the lack of flash is just killing iPhone sales. :D
  20. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The more funny post about Iphone

lol you have got the trophy of the most funny post i read about the Iphone/Ipod

Ask the 70 millions Iphone user ... The success of the Iphone never be seen in the mobile history in term of quantity, time of top 3 positions and in every angle you want .....

And you arrive to say N0 FLASH KILL THE IPHONE SALE !!!!

men you should consult before is too late :))