The Reason for No Flash

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mikerm, Jan 28, 2010.

1. MrLarkins

MrLarkins
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I think, eventually it will have flash. Apple will cave in to the web. :D

2. Ninja

Ninja
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    No Flash = No Sale!

Steve promised "all the internet" at the original iPhone introduction. Steve lied.

Without Flash you can not access "all the internet". There are a great many web sites which use Flash for buttons and other items which are necessary to even navigate the web site. It is NOT a matter of a picture viewer as Apple misrepresents.

Steve has personal issues with Adobe. Apple has plenty of cash to buy the company and get arid of the people who annoy Steve. It would also be the best way to get Photoshop coded in Cocoa so that the pro Photoshop market does not completely abandon the Mac platform.

Speaking of Steve and people, there is no one at Apple, well no one still employed at Apple, to burst his bubble and tell him that Flash is a de facto standard on the web and he needs to simply deal with it and move on. The argument that Flash violates web standards is a fools argument because the web is what it is and that includes Flash.

Yes, I do find the bloated, grotesquely overproduced Flash videos to be absurd, but that is not the issue.

Steve just doesn't get it. There is a web site shown on some of the Apple promotional materials which has been identified as Flash. This means that Apple has fraudulently portrayed the iPad as being capable of doing things they know it can not do.

Oh, did I mention, never buy Rev A devices from Apple?

3. DG~X

DG~X
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Nice arguement bro. Yes flash is a huge thing on the internet..like 75% of it. Youtube is still avaiable on it though f you think about it. And i heard on a video(which i saw on Youtube) that the videos you see on the ipad on Youtube will be shown in HDMI. Wierd huh?

4. Ninja

Ninja
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    May I suggest that you install Firefox and install the Flashblock add-on. It will show you precisely what is Flash and what is not by blocking the Flash content. (You can click on it to load the Flash content individually.)

Cheers

Steve lied. Without Flash you can not access "all the web".

5. LMControl

LMControl
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, obviously the lack of Flash has killed such Apple devices like the iPhone..... it's been an overwhelming failure, hasn't it?

The "power of Adobe" is also laughable. Adobe is clinging to legacy software that requires companies to pay them licensing fees. HTML5 is the future and will not require a closed source application or set of plug-ins to get the most of the Internet.

I equate this to Apple releasing the iMacs without a floppy drive..... God forbid, that was just crazy, wasn't it? I mean... we couldn't live without a floppy drive, could we? ;)

You folks do realize that Google is already testing and implementing a Flash free version of Youtube, right? You do know that they got Google Voice on the iPhone with HTML5, right? I urge you all to join the 21st century and leave antiquated, bloated, resource hogging software of the 90's behind.

Yeah, Steve just doesn't get it.... leader of a $50 Billion company and all..... he's just short-sighted, isn't he? I think I'll trust him just a little while longer.

#15 LMControl, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's all about control. Apple want's full control over the device, and allowing flash denies them of that 100% of control. Very sad state of affairs and turn-around from what Apple was preaching just a few short years ago.

7. vegasmike

vegasmike
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    So do you want flash to make things, or do you want flash to see and use things, things being software of course. If you want something that reads and uses flash, I could write that, but if you want an app to make flash content, I could do that but am not interested. Interpreter, easy, creator, no hard just not interested.

8. mac

mac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not a failure, but not as big as people think it is. Also, it's not the primary device iPhone users go to to browse the web because of it's limitations (mainly screen size) - so lack of Flash is an irritation rather than a deal breaker. Whereas web browsing is supposed to be one of the iPad's killer apps.

It'll be interesting to see how the whole Flash scenario plays out. It definitely has the potential to make the iPad niche much smaller than it really needs to be.

9. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded Flash Blocker right when the iPad was announced, just to see how much I would miss flash. I did a two week trial of zero flash, never even hit the enable flash button on it.

Surprise surprise! I didn't miss it at all. The majority of the websites I browse have zero Flash on them whatsoever, and those that do, it's normally something not needed to extract the information from the site.

10. iDoug

iDoug
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's good to know! I need to try that out, but I doubt I will really miss the flash support.