Stupid name for technical support staff

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by bmanj, Feb 1, 2012.

1. bmanj

bmanj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I must admit I have a huge amount of respect for doctors (medical or anyone that has earnt a PhD) and I also have a lot of respect for people who have to deal with the public, particularly if it's in any area involving complaints. And I guess that's way I always try to be courteous and polite. However, I don't have a lot of respect for someone with a genius name tag that sits behind a counter emblazoned with the word "GENIUS" who looks up a database and tells me the cost of my cracked screen with be $HK1,488. I know it's a very small issue, but I just think it's a silly title and I'm surprised it doesn't attract more derision.

2. idave23

idave23
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I wonder what your level of respect would've been if they'd replaced your screen for free.

3. bmanj

bmanj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave - It would be the same level of respect. I'd just prefer if it was done by a "shop assistant" or a "technician" or a "sales representative". It's not the sort of work that requires a "genius". I just think it's poor form to give anyone a grandiose and pretentious job title and, as I said, I'm surprised it doesn't attract more derision. Maybe my view is tainted by the fact that , unlike I guess the vast majority of people that access this site, I'm not an Apple fan. It's a company that really puts the screws on every company in its supply chain and even denies retailers a decent sales margin. I guess that's why Apple's gross profit margin is so high and it's able to accumulate so much cash on its balance sheet.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. We see what we expect. All people have a strong tendency to interpret things in ways that reinforces what they already know and believe. That goes as much for those of use who like Apple as those that dislike them.

Even when we recognize our biases, we are not entirely free of them.

5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I don't consider myself an Apple fan. I have a bunch of their gadgets because they happen to work well for me. But if there's a better alternative, I'll buy that next time. At the moment, for instance, I'm waiting for the sale of a Samsung phone, and I recently replaced my laptop with another Lenovo ThinkPad.

About half of iPad owners use PCs, so I don't think everyone's an Apple fan. There are a lot of iPad fans on this forum, obviously. But to say that people must be OK with the "genius" label because they're Apple fans is probably inaccurate. I doubt most people care.

I do care about how Apple is squeezing every drop out of suppliers. I would like an alternative, but don't see a good one for my uses right now.

6. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Just for the record, I'm happy to let anyone who spends their days dealing with the public in a retail setting call themselves anything they like. "Savior" if that's their choice. I also suspect that there may be a difference in cultural expectations here. As sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory suggest, "genius" is as much a term of derision (light hearted hopefully) as respect in American culture. I suspect that might not be quite the case in Hong Kong.

7. jsh1120

jsh1120
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Well, to be accurate I'd have to say that in my years as an academic I seldom had less than a 60 hour work week. The six hours a week of teaching says more about the priority major universities assign to teaching than to the expectations about the amount of effort professors are expected to devote to their jobs...at least until they get tenure.

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    This reminded me of a hilarious 1970s Cantopop song from Hong Kong, "Genius and Idiot":

http://ponytone.com/streams/Hong Kong/Genius and Idiot.mp3

By Sam Hui: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Hui

Sorry, no English lyrics, but the hook is "Who's a genius? Who's an idiot?"

#18 Kaykaykay, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  9. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's genius. Anyone who can explain a machine to me has attained Mensa status.

AA
    image-3162639015.png

10. Billee

Billee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Right On

The word "pretentious" used by the original poster describes my experience in the Apple store precisely. I interacted with several apple employees and in each case they acted like they were sent from heaven to convert my technically ignorant soul to the "Apple Way". Give me a break. I was building, programming, and operating computers before their parents had teeth.