What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storage help

schmicr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have no room left on my I pad. I go to usage and the gigs don't add up. And it changes each time I open it up. I do have several movies but I believe those are stored on the cloud. They have a cloud symbol on the bottom of them. Any ideas?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This will explain why storage has to be lower: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2419

Email attachments you opened on your iPad use some of the storage. To minimize this, you could delete the accounts and reinstall them.
If you add websites to your Reading List in Safari, this will use some of your storage as well. Also, regularly clear cookies and data.

These are just a few examples that will help you minimizing your usage.

Hope that helps.

OP
S

schmicr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happens when I watch movies. I went back to best buy and they took my old one back because the apple guy said it wasn't recognizing the memory. But now it's still going on. I have no email accounts attached to the device either.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You simply aren't giving enough information here for anyone to help you. And no one has time to go read through a thread that may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You simply aren't giving enough information here for anyone to help you. And no one has time to go read through a thread that may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

Exactly as said quoted here...

How much storage does your iPad have? What does it say is available? Just how many movies, songs, and pictures do you have on the iPad (notice the subtle use of the Oxford Comma)? Without adequate info there is no way to determine the issue.

OP
S

schmicr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I like watching movies whether it's through the videos app where my purchased ones are or on netflix. My storage lets say starts at 10gb. I will open up videos. And select a movie. None of my movies are on the device. I stream them. I'll watch the entire movie and end up with 8.6gb of storage left over. Then if I stream more it will keep dropping. It's a 16gb and I do realize about 4gb are used up with the OS. So any streaming of movies or tv I do uses up my storage.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like your movie app is caching the movies. Which app are you using when the storage space is getting smaller and smaller? Open Setting, go to General, then Usage, then Videos, and see if you see any videos. If so, you can delete by sliding to the left on each one until they are deleted.

Last edited:
OP
S

schmicr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like your movie app is caching the movies. Which app are you using when the storage space is getting smaller and smaller? Open Setting, go to General, then Usage, then Videos, and see if you see any videos. If so, you can delete by sliding to the left on each one until they are deleted.

I use the video app provided by Apple. When I go to usage and select videos it shows nothing there. Any way for me to post a couple screen shots on here?

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a theory that Apple designs iOS in a way that it will not start clearing up app cache, temp files, junk, etc. until there is absolutely little or no space left for one reason: to get you to think that you should purcha$e the 64gb or 128gb model when the next iPad Air come$ out. I've used CCleaner which was just recently available for iPad and I've managed to clean up 2-3 gb of disk space. There are apps that are just flat out cache hogs (like Instagram and Facebook). These days, 32gb is a sweet spot. But if you don't watch your storage space buildup and do something about it (like CCleaner or up PhoneClean), those junk files or piled up cached data from apps will just sit there and do nothing in your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts