What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Undecided On Jailbreaking?

rah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did jailbreak my iPad 2 when the latest absinthe was released.after a few hours I went back to the non-jailbroken mode. I can't seem to find any app that would convince me as to the necessity of having my iDevice jailbroken.

enlightened

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took me less than 15 hours with my new iPad 2 to decide to jailbreak it after having had a jailbroken iPhone 4s since it became available. There are lots of useful apps- SBSettings, Springtomize 2, Mail Enhancer (HUGE fan of this one), Winterboard and PerPage for themeing (though that's more iPhone), PDANet to tether wifi iPad to iPhone, iFile... (actually, I think that's everything I have installed.) I feel like once you jailbreak and discover what can really be done with iDevices there's basically no turning back.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greetings,
One of the things I have noticed in Cydia is if an app isn't confirmed to work with your iOS version there is a little area saying they have contacted the developer and have not received a reply, yet. They won't allow you to download it. I can, however, install PDAnet on my iPad 1 wifi even though the description says it is for iPhone. Reading the descriptions helps.
I am not very well versed with the search function in Cydia. Sometimes typing in and hitting search shows no results. Changing the order of the words sometimes reveals what I was searching for. I find searching on Google and the going to Cydia much easier.
My iPad 1 is long out of warranty period. Perhaps if I cracked the screen they might feel sorry for me at the Apple Store, but only if I restored it to whatever the latest iOS is.
There are way too many apps in the App Store that do not work. Not at all. The only way you know is if you read the comments by the frustrated purchasers. I don't know if you can use something like PayPal to purchase through the App Store. PayPal might help you get your money back if you don't get what was advertised. There are too many ripped off people complaining in the comments. I've never read one that said the seller refunded their money. It is almost like the developer can rip off someone and get protection from Apple.
There are questionable apps in both the App Store and Cydia. I used to think that the ones in the App Store were tested by Apple and approved before they went for sale. It was naive of me. There are so many developers out there that Apple can't possibly go through all of the apps. I don't think they get the source code to scan through for sneaky code.
(Liverpool wins Carling Cup)
I think most of the jailbreakers do so for the eye candy. To not be able to change icons and icon placement would, to me, be like my desktop computer making my icons being set in auto-arrange.
I guess it is all about choice. What you do with what you purchase is your choice. If you work hard enough for your money spend it they way you want and use what you buy they way you want to.
I had a lot of other thoughts when I started writing this post. Some of them have escaped me. Others have taken on a life of their own and had to be deleted since they mutantly morphed out of the scope of the topic.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

pollin77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about jailbreaking the "new" iPad... should I wait until the iOS 6 comes out?
Any advice?
Thanks

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pollin77 said:
What about jailbreaking the "new" iPad... should I wait until the iOS 6 comes out?
Any advice?
Thanks

It might be a while for the jailbreak for iOS 6 to happen. I haven't read about any of the new "must have" enhancements in iOS 6, except that it won't be for my iPad 1. If you really want to jailbreak because you want to be able to do other things, and the enhancements in iOS 6 aren't a big draw for you then go ahead. You can always enjoy the jailbreak while you are waiting for the iOS 6 jailbreak.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Most reactions

Latest posts