What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking...

hattrick77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This my first ipad. Been using it for about three months now. I like it. Got an iPhone 3g years ago then went android. I jailbroke my ipad expecting some cool things like the stuff I can do on an android device but was disappointed.

But I think that I'm just not as well versed in it as an android device.

First impressions

A lotta apps (even simple ones) cost money
Lots of tweaks
Didn't really know what all the fuss is with jailbreaking

I've since reverted back to stock. Don't miss anything. Any feedback on why jailbreaking is where it's at I'm all ears.

OP
H

hattrick77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
87 views and not one comment. My initial discovery that jailbreaking my ipad was pretty boring and irrelevant seems to be true. Cheers!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The forum has thousands of lurkers. Those 87 views could easily have been non members looking for information.

FWIW, I never felt the need to jailbreak either. I find my iDevices work quite well for me just as they came to me.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
87 views and not one comment. My initial discovery that jailbreaking my ipad was pretty boring and irrelevant seems to be true. Cheers!

I think you would have gotten a much better response if you had posted this in the Hacking Forum. Just saying. ;)

OP
H

hattrick77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you would have gotten a much better response if you had posted this in the Hacking Forum. Just saying. ;)

I did not see that forum. Thanks for the heads up. I will post my question there. :)

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am an Android person and I find the jailbroken iPad to be somewhat disappointing. Android is so open and so customizable that I think it's hard to beat that experience. As with many Androiders, the biggest issue I have with Apple products is their "closed" functionality. The jailbreak has made my iPad better but I find Cydia to be an extension of the Apple "mindset"; it has to be done through them, it has to be done their way, and it has to be paid for. Don't Get me wrong, I like supporting devs (I am a retired dev myself) but I have been tweaking Android devices since the beginning of Android time and have never once paid for or charged for an Android hack of any kind. Of course there are paid Android apps but anything that comes out of the "under ground" community is offered for free. I do love my iPad, this community, and my Cydia tweaks but it just doesn't compare to the Android experience.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Compared to the Android standpoint, it's jailbreaking is almost a waste of time because of the fact that customization costs money. Reason is because of Apple's grip on the iOS. If you want to accomplish an "true open-source" environment on the iPhone like you would on an Android, you'd need developer access to have a "real" open-source of your device, where you can freely mod your device however you like. Because many users can't or don't pay for developer access to dev crack their device, they don't have access to cores, so they rely on jailbreaking to give them access to use "pre-made" tweaks and mods on their device.

Because Android is open-source, you can basically pack everything into an APK and just install it via micro SD. Because iOS is "jailed", you don't have immediate access of the cores as an everyday user, so making mods is much harder. If the iOS was open-source and could install anything by simply running an APK file, we wouldn't need jailbreaks and everything would be free and versatile.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently traded a Galaxy S3 for an iPhone 5 and a galaxy tab 2 7.0 for an ipad Mini and don't miss either one bit....I even had both androids rooted running custom roms and kernels and the iDevices are still running soooo much smoother and faster than my androids. I personally haven't found one thing I can't do with my Jailbroken iDevices that I could do with my androids.

You probably just don't know what tweaks to download to achieve what you are wanting. There's a lot of useful info on here and you tube. Or pm me and I can try to help you find a tweak your looking for.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently did jailbreak my ipad. I found it quite straight forward and the tweaks i have done are good additions to my ipad. However i own a note 2 as well which does all of what my jailbroken ipad does but as standard. It probably does more to be fair. Im happy with my ipad and it is improved jailbroken but i still prefer my android phone because i can swap out the battery andadd a 64gb micro sd card

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My main gripe about android is the apps are garbage. They are no comparison to the apple apps.....

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
This argument will go on till the end of time I feel, iPads and iPhones require Jailbreaking to free them from there Apple controlled prison, some people like to do this and some people don't. Android phones are nothing like iPhones in the same way that a train and a bus are different, even though both do the same (carry passengers) they do it differently........if android and iPhone were the same then this Them and Us argument would never occur. Remember this is a predominantly iProduct site and with this the views will probably be pro iProduct.

Just my 2c worth

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course I agree. Its an argument that will go on forever. The way I see it is that android contracts are cheaper than iphone ones yet you get more with your android phone a standard. Its a no brainer. Apple phones have the best build quality out of the two but it doesn't matter to me. I only keep a phone a year or so.

Oh and I own an ipad and love it

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's more towards preference. I know a lot of friends and colleagues that can't stand Android, and some that can't stand Apple. I'm in between. I've used both, but I'm more familiar with Apple devices. Still grasping my way through Android.

Most reactions

Latest posts