What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in Jailbreaking

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First iPad, never had an iPhone or iPod, heard about jailbreaking, but, never really investigated it or really knew what it was.

so, here is what happened.

Brought the iPad home, plugged it in, it said I needed an update, so I let it do it's thing, not knowing any better, so I guess I'm at 3.2.2, and last night, iTunes updated to 10.

So, I guess I am out of luck when it comes to trying this jailbreak thing, huh? I have an eMac with an earlier version of iTunes on it, but, from what I've been reading here, 3.2.2 is a no go right now, and I didn't know anything about blob files, so I don't have those saved.

I also don't want to hurt my iPad either. I cook with updating firmware things, I've updated firmware on lots of devices, DVD drives PC and set top, routers, PC's and the like, so I am comfortable with that.

If there is some way that I can jailbreak, is it possible to backup my iPad on the PC that I've been using all along for the iPad, and use the eMac with the earlier version of iTunes to apply the jailbreak?

Thanks for helping a newbie....

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi !

there Is no way for you to jailbreak your device at the moment becuase the ios version 3.2.2 that i have now can not be jailbroken.

If u had jailbroken your device before u updated It to 3.2.2 It would also make u be able to downgrade your iPad anytime back to the firmware u had when u jailbroke It.

So the short answer for the time beeing Is no, you just have to wait until a new jailbreak has arrived

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there are many ways to backup

No, offense intended, but, this post is totally useless.

You say there are many ways, but, you list none.

And, according to this thread:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/10803-downgradin-3-2-2-no-shshs.html

it's not possible since I didn't know anything about shsh blobs at the time.

So, if there are really "many ways" would you please be a little more helpful and list a few of them for me and the rest of the community? There is at least one other person who is at 3.2.2 who is interested in jailbreak and is without shsh blobs to downgrade.

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, i am interested too,arthurihde. Let us know :)

I don't think he meant you are able to backup your shsh's, which is for the avoidance of doubt impossible for 3.2.1 if you don't have them already.

The OP post mentioned backing up the iPad before embarking on the JB journey. In that regard, there are a few ways to make sure you have a general backup just in case you need to get back to where you started...

The most obvious and easy of these is using iTunes to sync and backup your iPad. Then, if you want, you can always restore to the current firmware and restore from backup, then re-sync. In most situations that is ok...

It becones a bit more complex once you can JB and need to go up and down between firmware versions.
Best advice given your current situations (un-jailbreakable) is to sit tight and when the new JB is released, do your research on the forum and read the instructions carefully to make sure you take any precautions necessary. It's not easy to give more specific advice unil the release...

Hope that helped.

Last edited:
OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there are many ways to backup

Arthur,

Please help, if there is still a way for me to go back to 3.2.1 I'd love to know. Remember, right out of the box, because I didn't know any better, at first power up, I let the iPad update itself to 3.2.2. That's due to my Windows background of wanting to make sure I always have the latest updates to make sure I am protected. I have no blobs backed up at all.

I would have no problems losing all of my apps, because I could easily make a list of what I have and re-download everything, I have not paid for any apps yet.

So, if there is still a way, please do share, I'm sure it would be helpful to others as well as myself. Having recently rooted my Android phone, I am more than overwhemingly excited to try jailbreaking my iPad to see more of it's potential.

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
why do you need to get to 3.2.1 now? 3.2.2 can be jailbroken! Search the forum. limera1n and greenpois0n...

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why do you need to get to 3.2.1 now? 3.2.2 can be jailbroken! Search the forum. limera1n and greenpois0n...

Thanks for your info! I used limera1n and am now jailbroken!

Now, I must learn what I can do with a jailbroken iPad.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for your info! I used limera1n and am now jailbroken!

Now, I must learn what I can do with a jailbroken iPad.

The best place to start if you are new to jailbreaking is the Cydia welcome screen (found when you launch the Cydia app). Follow the important steps like changing your root and mobile passwords so your device is secure. Just be warned that you will need to SSH into the iPad from your computer because the mobile terminal doesn't seem to work well on the iPad. Take a look at the featured apps and themes after this. You will be well on your way in no time at all.

Most reactions

Latest posts