What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound Dock that works with iPad Air, lightning connector??

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am surprised that more options don't exist, since iPad 4 also had the lightning connection. I had an ILuv speaker/charging dock with a rotating holder for my 30-pin Ipad 2. I used it daily, moving it between rooms. Watching videos, listening to music. For $150, it was well worth it. When Googled, some $700 Bose and other high end systems come up, but nothing more modestly priced. I like the portability of the smaller unit. I thought about using the 30pin to lightning connector that Apple sells, to use the Air on the ILuv, but it only works with audio, not video.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Confused… why do you need video if it's a speaker dock? Does it not have 3.5mm input as an alternative to the 30 pin?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Confused… why do you need video if it's a speaker dock? Does it not have 3.5mm input as an alternative to the 30 pin?

I think OP is referring to using the dock as the speakers while watching a video on the iPad.

To be frank, I'm actually very paranoid with a lightning cable dock. Unless it fits extremely snug so that there's little to no pressure on the lightning cable, I'd actually stay away from a lightning cable dock (just me). I don't recall many docks that support the iPad 4/Mini/Air/Mini2 on a fair budget. I'm using my Bose Sound Dock with a 30-pin to lightning extension. It doesn't stand, but I'm waiting for my prototype/final product to be shipped for my Everdock, which is a compromise between a lightning adapter, a sound dock, and a stand.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
I think OP is referring to using the dock as the speakers while watching a video on the iPad.

Right. So if the video is playing on the iPad screen and the audio is going out to the speaker accessory, why would the adapter need to support video? Does it mean it won't play the audio if the source is from a video?

I just bought a couple of 30 pin to lightning adapters, but they are cheap ones only for sync and charge. Hope they work with my existing cables.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It wouldn't need to work for video. But I'm guessing OP believes that it has to work for both in order to get the sound out of the video from the iPad

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

OP
P

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are right about how I use the stand I have. Like a small TV, to watch Netflix, home movies, and now that I have Optimum WiFi I can stream live TV into whatever room I am in. I haven't heard of Everdock, will Google that one. (just did. Is it just a charging dock?)

OP
P

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right. So if the video is playing on the iPad screen and the audio is going out to the speaker accessory, why would the adapter need to support video? Does it mean it won't play the audio if the source is from a video?

I just bought a couple of 30 pin to lightning adapters, but they are cheap ones only for sync and charge. Hope they work with my existing cables.

This is exactly what I needed to know, thanks. The Iluv that I use currently photo.jpgsimilar to this one,
charges, plays everything from the one 30 pin. AND it rotates to landscape mode. Sound isn't too bad, either.
So if I get the lightning adapter I can use that for the video and connect something else to use the existing speakers. At least until they come out with a newer model.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are right about how I use the stand I have. Like a small TV, to watch Netflix, home movies, and now that I have Optimum WiFi I can stream live TV into whatever room I am in. I haven't heard of Everdock, will Google that one. (just did. Is it just a charging dock?)

Everdock is a universal phone/tablet dock. It's similar to the Apple iPhone 4 dock except that the sides of it is not constraint to only the iPhone 4/4S form factory, and will support almost all phones and tablets that have cases on them, which almost no dock supports.

All you do is change the cable that slides through the bottom of the dock, then bend the cable so that it's not being sat on my the dock, and it'll essentially look like a bigger version of Apple's iPhone 4 dock. They have a model that also supports 2 devices simultaneously apparently though I haven't checked that out yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts