What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry for the noob questions...

callthedoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First time iPad user (I'm a microsoft goldenboy)....purchased 2 days ago...starting to love it.

Is that a "power" button on the top of my iPad??? (next to the headphone jack)
What is the difference between hitting that button, hitting the button on the face, or letting my iPad power off via time (15 minutes?)? Or is that really a sleep?

Is it a good idea to CLOSE apps after I run them? I typically show the apps...(five finger up swipe), then press the icons till they shake with the "minus" sign, then close. How necessary is this? (iPad 2/16Gb/WIFI)

Virus protection needed for iPad? Wouldn't think so....

I don't see the point with a "screen protector"...I'm not using a stylus nor putting in my pocket with keys...seems to take away from the beauty and essence of the screen. What are the general feelings about that...
(I did just buy the Marware CEO Hybrid, ebay 30 bucks.)

As well, I have not purchased a warranty (yet)...shopping around online at "square trade". Seems good, but pricey and I worry about the coverage.
I bought mine at Target - they offer a 2 year bumper to bumper (with drop protection) which seems better than AppleCare and SquareTrade...no?

Thanks for any replies...look forward to reading them.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Callthedoctor...welcome back...

That is the power button on top. You can push it quickly to put it sleep or turn it off completely. To do this, just press the power button until you get the lock slide to power off.

Pressing the circular button called your home button will turn on your iPad from sleep. It can also return you to your home page from an app you have previously visited.

You can set your auto lock to turn off when not in use...as quickly as 2 minutes. This will put your iPad to sleep. To turn it back on, just press your home button.

It is always good to close out your apps to help clear your ram and also if an app misbehaves. This is usually the immediate fix first, than a restart and than finally a reset(pressing The home and power button together.)

I use a screen saver. I am fine with it's feel and look. Various opinions on this. You can find quite a few threads debating screen savers or not.

I don't have insurance, probably not a good move...but many members here do. Perhaps they can help you with that.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In regards to the AppleCare+ for the iPad,it does provide for up to 2 incidents of accidental damage,subject to a service fee of $49.00. It extends the factory warranty to a full two years from the date of purchase. You also get a full 2 years of telephone technical support,better than the 90 days you get with just the factory warranty. It can be purchased within 30 days of purchasing the iPad by taking it to an Apple store for inspection at the Genius Bar. If it passes inspection you can purchase the AppleCare+ at a cost of $99.00. Here is the Apple store page about AppleCare +.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A#overview

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts