What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can open apps but they don't respond once opened, like they're locked.

smartcookie78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should start by saying I have an iPad that I purchased in 2012. A few months ago the power and volume buttons stopped working, but I could still use the home button to access all my apps and change the volume using the touch screen. Yesterday, this new problem started. I can still swipe right to unlock the home screen, can navigate around to look at all my apps in their folders, etc. I can tap on an app to open it, but that's it. It's like all the apps are locked, I can't get scroll around or click on anything, like select an email message, or press "play" to load a game. I can't add new items to my calendar, etc. I can close the app by pinching or using the home button and can swipe up to exit it completely. I tried to access my settings but the same thing happens there. As I mentioned, because the power button doesn't work, I can't do a reset.
Help!! Thanks so much

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Smartcookie.. - welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some more information: 1) Which model iPad do you own (suspect iPad 2 or 3); 2) What iOS is installed (current version is 8.4); 3) Was this a new, used, or refurbished iDevice; and 4) When these functions started to disappear, what did you do, e.g. did you visit an Apple store?

I'm assuming this is not a jailbroken device and that no damage (like a drop) has occurred? But for starters have you ever 'Reset' the device, i.e. hold down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release both and allow the iPad to reboot - NOW, if your ON-OFF button no longer works, then I cannot predict 'what' may happen? Please respond to these questions and post back to this thread. Dave

OP
S

smartcookie78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3rd generation iPad - model A1416.
The iOS, I can't check as I don't have access to my settings currently, is likely the most current one - I do the updates when they are available
This was a new device when I bought it in 2012.
The home and volume buttons stopped working a couple months ago, but otherwise the iPad was functioning well, so I did not seek repair.
I have reset it in the past, and have tried to do that several times recently, but since the on/off button is not working, nothing happens..
I'm thinking that if I can get the iPad repaired so that the on/off and volume buttons work again, and I do a reset, that would probably solve my problem. Agree??
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again and thanks for the additional information requested - helps! :)

You obviously have 'hardware issues' w/ buttons not working - my only suggestion at this point is to visit an Apple Store or an authorized Apple dealership to run some diagnostics and determined what the problem(s) may be and to give you an estimate on a repair cost.

Also, consider that if the repair is 'costly', then consider whether a 'new' iPad might be a better choice depending on your budget - not sure where you are located but hope that you can have the device examined properly - let us know your decisions. Dave

OP
S

smartcookie78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I have no idea how much a repair like that would cost, I contacted a repair facility but haven't heard back yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts